Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector Gen 3 - solid blue lights and Check Power error in car - firmware downgrade to fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are getting this error with your Gen 3 WC after commissioning, or a software update, the problem could be the latest Tesla WC firmware upgrade 24.4.1.

I could not get my WC to connect to the app after commissioning it according to the installer instructions. It worked fine in all ways, but the app would not connect.

Tesla support told me to power off the WC breaker, log out of the app, power my phone off then on, then change my account password ???. Well that worked, but in the process, my WC was upgraded to firmware 24.4.1. and that is when the solid blue light "Check Power" error began. The WC connected to my WiFi - I could see it and ping it, but I got the solid blue light on the charger itself and car port, along with the in-car error message. All I could do was cycle the breaker and start charging while the WC was still in access point mode (pulsing green light). The car would finish charging but would not work next time without another reset.

Amazingly Tesla support had no answer for me except to try a bunch of unrelated "fixes", all of which implied I had done something wrong. There were overly tightened screws, or there was problem with my WiFi, etc, etc. I knew the charger worked before I added it to the app, so out of frustration I manually downgraded the firmware, and that entirely fixed the issue. I used the version available on the Tesla WC support page which is 23.24.4 and NOT 24.4.1.

Once I found that this had worked, I was curious and poked around a bit to discover that The Tesla One app showed an upgrade available to 24.4 but not 24.4.1. That upgrade also worked without issue or errors and I am currently using it.

According to the Wall Monitor web page, over 90% of the WC Gen 3 "fleet" is on 24.4.1 but it does not work with mine - which I recently got with referral points. There have to be other WC's with this issue. I find it odd that the app updates the WC to a firmware version not available through any other means. And then requires an offline manual downgrade to fix it if it does not work. A lot of folks are not gonna get that far before they just give up or return it. So far no fix from Tesla.

Once you are upgraded to 24.4.1 the only way I found to downgrade is to get the firmware here: https://www.tesla.com/support/charging/wall-connector/troubleshooting#offline

Once you upload 23.24.4 manually the WC will let you get 24.4 from the software option section. Now everything works - app and all.