Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector - DIY repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just some notes that might help someone who also has wall connector issues and doesnt want to fork out for a new unit.

My wall connector (well out of warrenty) stopped working (twice).

First was red flashing light issue which I traced to one of the signal cables within the tethered charge cable. I managed to replace this cable with an after market one for £120. This worked fine for 2 months then

A solid red light issue. Lots of checks later, contactor ok, cable ok, earth ok, power feed ok so fault could only be in the electronics which would mean a complete new unit at £475.

As id just spent £120 on a new cable I decided I need to fix this myself, I knew what the wall connectors do is pretty simple, just communicate with the car through PWM and voltages and switch on the mains.
The wall connector is set up quite well to be able to strip out the electronics (on the top curcuit board) , keep the contactor and power connector and current sensing board (on the lower curcuit board).

I mananged to find some code on line that handles the comms using a ESP32 controller and then it was a case of just making a opamp simple curcuit with a small relay and some LED's. All this fit inside the existing Tesla wall connector so from the outside it looks like a normal tesla unit.

With the 24v power supply the cost came to just over £20.
All working ok, now, even has the ability to control the charger through a local webpage.

If anyone want some details let me know. Its pretty simple to do, espically if youve done stuff with arduino/esp controller boards in the past.

Yeah just the top board, I'll write it up if I get time tomorrow and post it
1707516804321.png

1707516818282.png

1707516844396.png

1707516862117.png

• Informative
Reactions: brainhouston