Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Checklist on day of install (solar panel + powerwalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,
Our install day is this Friday from tesla and would appreciate any feedback on questions or things I should be monitoring when they are here? Thank you in advance since I am a novice in this space.

Install- Separate 4kwh solar panel system + 2 powerwalls for entire whole backup

Current home
Newer home with existing 3.8 kWh system in SF Bay Area. They never did onsite inspection even though I asked them(told me it was not necessary since it is newer home construction and they will figure out where to install powerwall on installation day).
I do have Nema 14 50 outlet in garage for tesla but assuming that will not be part of whole home backup?

All,
Our install day is this Friday from tesla and would appreciate any feedback on questions or things I should be monitoring when they are here? Thank you in advance since I am a novice in this space.

Install- Separate 4kwh solar panel system + 2 powerwalls for entire whole backup

Current home
Newer home with existing 3.8 kWh system in SF Bay Area. They never did onsite inspection even though I asked them(told me it was not necessary since it is newer home construction and they will figure out where to install powerwall on installation day).
I do have Nema 14 50 outlet in garage for tesla but assuming that will not be part of whole home backup?

A few thoughts I got from reading your post:

Don't assume anything. Make sure you and the installers are both on the same page when it comes to what will and will not be backed up (I have two NEMA 14-50s for EVs and they're both backed up, although during an outage I don't expect to be charging cars). If you're going to have two inverters (from the two solar systems), find out if they're both going to be feeding the Powerwall gateway. If the Powerwalls show up in your app, be sure the power flows look reasonable (sometimes the sensors that measure current are hooked up wrong, which leads to weird readings and a confused gateway that doesn't know what to do).

Bruce.

In addition to Bruce’s comments: Test the system. Shut off main power and make sure that backup works on ALL expected sub panels/circuits. View your app and check flows as Bruce stated but focus on circuits on different panels. If you don’t have full house backup they need to place CT’s or connect to the gateway in a manner that monitors the entire home. If circuits are not monitored they will not be covered by the Powerwall in advanced mode. Also, validate that power monitoring isn’t being double counted when loads are turned on.

In addition to Bruce’s comments: Test the system. Shut off main power and make sure that backup works on ALL expected sub panels/circuits. View your app and check flows as Bruce stated but focus on circuits on different panels. If you don’t have full house backup they need to place CT’s or connect to the gateway in a manner that monitors the entire home. If circuits are not monitored they will not be covered by the Powerwall in advanced mode. Also, validate that power monitoring isn’t being double counted when loads are turned on.
Was thinking about why so many CT's seemed to be messed up. Most folks it seems do not do whole home, which means more CT's have to be placed external to the GW correctly. With whole house, grids are already in the GW, and only need one solar per GW.