Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chill vs Standard battery drain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

First off, 2nd day Model 3 owner here, wow am I loving it!

Has anyone really tested the difference when using Chill vs Standard drive modes, for battery drain?
I actually traded in my 2019 Toyota Prius Prime for the Model 3, and when I would lay into the pedal on the Prime
it would just drop % fairly fast rather than taking it slow. (when in 100% EV on the prime)

Yes I know the standard is fun and all, but I'm not a speed kinda guy, I would prefer getting great range, and as weird as it sounds it kinda makes me a bit woozy, like a roller coaster or something, lol.

Thank you all in advance for any tips!

I don't understand chill mode. Isn't it better to have the power available in the unlikely event you might need it versus not? You can just drive yourself in chill mode.

There would be no difference in efficiency unless you're driving it around floored all the time, which isn't good for efficiency to start with obviously.

The chill vs. standard setting only affects how much pressure you need to press with your foot in order to accelerate. And also the "pedal to the floor" max acceleration, if you use that.

It could affect your driving style, but acceleration doesn't have much if any affect on your energy usage. Speed is the metric that affects range.

If you have a hard time "not pressing the accelerator hard" then that's what chill mode is for.

If you are used to hypermiling in a Prius, the same techniques work really well in the Model 3. You have an indicator that roughly approximates how much energy is coming in or going out and you can use it just like the hybrid indicator. Using that, I have been able to get excellent efficiencies, sometimes in the 1XX wh/mi, mostly in the low 200s

I don't understand chill mode. Isn't it better to have the power available in the unlikely event you might need it versus not? You can just drive yourself in chill mode.

There would be no difference in efficiency unless you're driving it around floored all the time, which isn't good for efficiency to start with obviously.
I see your point, and agree. Besides Standard makes me a bit woozy currently, lol. But with the Prius Prime when you accelerated more the batt would drain faster.

If you are used to hypermiling in a Prius, the same techniques work really well in the Model 3. You have an indicator that roughly approximates how much energy is coming in or going out and you can use it just like the hybrid indicator. Using that, I have been able to get excellent efficiencies, sometimes in the 1XX wh/mi, mostly in the low 200s
Yeah I just found that graph screen today. A bit harder to use while driving than the Prime. I’m not an aggressive driver or a fan of speeding. But I do like getting the best range I can. It’s almost like a challenge, lol. The prime use to give me a score every time I turned the car off, lol. It was so fun.

I use it during the winter to help with traction and to reduce wear on my winter tires. A normal acceleration vs full throttle to the same speed will decrease energy consumption. The motors aren't as efficient when a lot of energy gets dumped into them, I'm not sure how much less efficient.