Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance: RWD vs DM (Chill Mode)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I did a test drive of a Dual Motor Tesla Model Y on Sunday. It was great! I was hoping that it would be a RWD standard Model Y, however I was kindly given a Dual Motor to try. The performance was immense, but I personally found the throttle response to be quite sharp and snappy. Whilst it was fun on the test drive, I can imagine it might catch you out from time to time. My partner asked me to warn him when I accelerated as it took him by surprise (how boring!). When I popped it into Chill mode, it really changed the acceleration sensitivity. It felt far more dull but was far easier to drive smoothly and not surprise your passengers. Whilst I enjoyed it, if I purchase a DM, I wonder if I would mostly leave it in Chill mode and only occasionally pop it into standard mode, it would be silly to pay all that extra for occasional use. My question is, is a DM MY in Chill mode comparable to a RWD MY acceleration in standard mode?

It just takes a little practice with the accelerator and then you can drive it as any other car. You'll learn that 1/2 inch is a LOT.

The RWD is no slacker either, it's going to probably have a lot more performance that what you are driving right now does. It's just not quite as much.

When getting on a busy highway, as long as you yell accelerating to you passengers, you can get into some mighty tight gaps.

There are a few other differences between the versions AFAIK, like the sound system that can make a difference. But verify if there is any differences.
1710798474431.png

I think a great majority of us just put it in CHILL mode and then forget about it. It has plenty of 'get up and go' for the average user.
Rarely do I use NORMAL mode.
I leave mine in normal. I don’t even remember if I tried chill mode in the beginning for testing purposes.

More often than not, when I used similar options in previous vehicles (like eco mode), I would be more aggressive with the pedal. It’s as if I was trying to make up for the difference. In the case of MPG, I wasn’t benefiting from eco mode at all all the while knowing how much more effort I’m putting just to maintain a comfortable drive… which is no longer comfortable actually.

Though I don’t “punch it” everywhere I go, my acceleration is more on the aggressive side, though I’d call it more of “being prompt,” if that makes sense. When I have passengers (like my elderly parents), my driving automatically becomes a little more gentler. Generally, I try to use cruise control when ever possible (unless the auto-wipers go batshit crazy).

None of that required setting chill mode, so it doesn’t make sense for me.

My brother-in-law talked about something not too long ago, how much of a difference it is driving his newer Tesla MYLR verses his older BMW X5. He has to put more pedal effort to get things done in the BMW, which is a decent SUV in its own right. And yet, the MYLR can do it and more with less effort on his part.

And I think that’s related… that people are just so used to the effort they put to driving older, most likely non-EVs, they haven’t adjusted to it.

This also holds true for some people moving from a higher performance vehicle to a less “powerful” one.