Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

China Market situation and outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One more up in Hangzhou again, total 4 in one city, wow! http://www.teslamotors.com/cn/supercharger

Beijing (2)
Shanghai (3)
Hangzhou (4)
Hongkong (2)
Shenzhen (1)
Nanjing (1)

Total 13 super charger stations in China now.

- - - Updated - - -

Benz, I just know it's in Nanshan district in Shenzhen. It should be up online soon, you know how fast the construction speed in China :)

How far are most of these Superchargers away from each other? If they have 4 in the same city then:
a)it seems to me that people might not having charging structure at home and need to charge at a station
or
b)these cities are so big that they can have 4 that are spread apart by 5-100 miles each at the center and along the perimeter of the city

I think they are not very far away, probably 30-50 miles at most, if they are in the same city. I believe TM China uses different strategy to deploy super chargers than US.
First, majority Chinese customers live in city area and population density is much larger than US, so the it means more super chargers in city;
Second, major CBD (central business district) are in city area, so it would be more convenient to place super chargers close to CBD;
Third, with some municipal government support like Hangzhou and Shanghai, it's low cost (probably land is almost free) to deploy super chargers faster in those cities, coincidently, those cities should also be the premium market for Tesla in China to generate high demand;
Fourth, Usually major chinese cities are not far away, less than 200 miles for most of the cases in populous area. So deploying super chargers in each city can essentially support long distance driving. At least it's not a problem for Yangtze River delta area now with super chargers up in Shanghai/Hangzhou and Nanjing.

Above strategy is just for short term to convince the public that super chargers can be built up quickly in China, so TM China chooses the most convenient approach whichever it is.

In the mid to long term, the super charger network to cover the long distance driving is still very necessary. But obviously it might encounter more resistance, so that's the reason we haven't seen any clear commitment for that yet.

How far are most of these Superchargers away from each other? If they have 4 in the same city then:
a)it seems to me that people might not having charging structure at home and need to charge at a station
or
b)these cities are so big that they can have 4 that are spread apart by 5-100 miles each at the center and along the perimeter of the city

Tesla's China import qty is out now: 304, down 68.27%.
Below is the google translated page: Google Translate

Given that in prior months they were delivering on the reservation backlog, a decline was surely to be expected?

Same in USA, same in UK, same in all new markets.

For example, Hong Kong should see a strong decline in November, once the backlog of deliveries here has been cleared. But, if the Jul+Aug+Sep deliveries were to be spread over the 3 years the reservations have been taken, then November would see growth.

Also keep in mind that numbers are down for the first month of the quarter every time. We will likely see an uptick across the board for Aug and Sep (although the shutdown will likely impact Aug a bit)

Also, if you want to see about the superchargers, they just updated their "Find Us" Section on their website into a full Google Maps with the Stores, Service Centers... and... SUPERCHARGERS! Which is really cool (extra bonus in NA, they are also showing all the HPWC connectors that they know about as well).
Tesla Motors | Premium Electric Vehicles

Here is a shot of one of the cities in China, you can get a relative idea of distance from this.
china map.PNG

Now, it also looks when you check the other boxes that they are basically sticking superchargers at all their stores and service centers. In this case, for Shanghai the right node is a Store and the bottom node is a Service Center. This is likely helping them with the permitting and such since they probably already either own or are leasing the land and have a good relationship with the owner and local governments and such.

It really follows the same pattern as the European deliveries. First month of a quarter is slow, mostly deliveries and boats that just missed the cutoff for whatever reason (delays at customs, customer payment issues,...) Second month starts seeing an uptick and then final month is about 4-5 times more than the first month. And then the cycle repeats. It highly suggests Tesla is still running dry the pipeline every quarter so I continue to wonder : where are the 3000-5000 cars that have been produced but not yet delivered?

We don't have official numbers from Tesla, but it looks reasonable. One of my friends in China, a journalist, talked with staffs in Tesla's Beijin store last week. He talked with them on various topics including the sales and reservation. Though staffs didn't talk clearly on those topics, he learned from various conversations that the sales is ok but not as hot as tesla staffs expected due to the lack of charging facilities. Most people just came to the store for curiosity but hesitant to place the order.

I believe the China July import number is questionable? I haven't seen any report for such in major Chinese media.

I'm holding a model X reservation here in Shenzhen, China. I went to the tesla service centre here for a test drive of the model S this morning. I didn't take pictures, probably go back tomorrow though and will snap some.

The charger is pretty far out of town. About 20-40 minutes depending on traffic. They had about 15 p85 models ready for delivery in their showroom.

I am thinking of changing to the Model S after talking to their engineer there. They said they could possibly add rear facing seats in the car, though its not sold here in china.

Also delivery is about 3 and a bit months. Not bad!

Maps are going to be offered here next month!

3g via china unicom is pretty good after testing it in the car. its free for 4 years

there are already 23 destination chargers here in Shenzhen. Mostly in shopping malls with pay parking, but the charging itself is free!

They do not offer guaranteed resale value, however cars do not depreciate as fast here.

They are trying to open a charger in downtown somewhere, but haven't secured the location yet.

Thats all for now!

- - - Updated - - -

If this new Supercharger station will be opened soon, then it must be under construction already, right?

Can you find the address of this new Supercharger station in Shenzhen?

Thanks

The new supercharger is in Longhua. 1 Minkang road. Behind the subaru store. Its a supercharger/service centre. I just visited it today. Construction everywhere, but once its finished it will be nice. A bit hidden though. Great service compared to other luxury car dealers i.e. Bentley, Porsche, BMW, Audi which I have visited.

The new supercharger is in Longhua. 1 Minkang road. Behind the subaru store. Its a supercharger/service centre. I just visited it today. Construction everywhere, but once its finished it will be nice. A bit hidden though. Great service compared to other luxury car dealers i.e. Bentley, Porsche, BMW, Audi which I have visited.

That one already exists!!!

Have a look at the "Find Us" page on the Tesla Motors website:

No. 1 Minkang Road
Longhua District
Shenzhen, Guangdong 518131

This live Supercharger station is north of the two live Supercharger stations in Hong Kong.