Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Choosing between two options when paying for charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my MYP yesterday, and I am a total EV noob. Here's my question:

I have a job that will pay for my charging when on a business related trip, via a company credit card. When I'm not on a business related trip, I pay for the charging, via my personal credit card. Can I have 2 different credit cards as payment methods, between which I choose at the time of charging?

Reactions: APotatoGod
How this is handled in the case of an Ice car at your company?

I believe that when you calculate business trips expanses for tax purpose, you use mileage.
So you could determine the percentage of miles you drive for business and apply it to you total charging cost.

My employer prefers that I just use the company CC when filling up for a business trip. But I can seek reimbursement after the fact, I was just hoping it was an option to choose methods of payment.

My employer prefers that I just use the company CC when filling up for a business trip. But I can seek reimbursement after the fact, I was just hoping it was an option to choose methods of payment.
Most non Tesla fast charge stations have a card reader. If you have a CCS adapter you could use one of these stations and scan the company card. Just beware they are not as reliable as they should be.

Not sure about Connecticut, but out west the third party charge stations are mostly Charge Point, EvGo, or Electrify America. You could set up an account with each of these three with the company card and use those accounts on your business trips.

Take a look at Plugshare.com to see what is most common in your area.

Looking at the charging payment method page in my Tesla app, I see an entry for the credit card I use with a green checkmark, I imagine indicating it is the current default. There is an "add card" function showing.

I've not tried it, but it seems likely you could put two cards in, and switch the default before you plug in to the Supercharger. If that actually works, I imagine you would gain speed on getting the switch done after a few times around the loop.

Looking at the charging payment method page in my Tesla app, I see an entry for the credit card I use with a green checkmark, I imagine indicating it is the current default. There is an "add card" function showing.

I've not tried it, but it seems likely you could put two cards in, and switch the default before you plug in to the Supercharger. If that actually works, I imagine you would gain speed on getting the switch done after a few times around the loop.
I think that might work. I still havent used a Tesla charger, but will try this out when I do. Thanks!