TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Chrome delete in Toronto Area

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TOFLYIN, Jun 14, 2018.

1. TOFLYIN

TOFLYIN Member

Looking for a good and reasonably priced shop to get my M3 chromed delete done. I have been given prices from $400 to over $1000. Around $400 seems about right, but I will have to check their work first. This is not a big job. Window trim, door handles and mirrors. Does anyone have a recommendation in the Toronto area? Live downtown but will drive a bit for a good deal and good work.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. 12933

12933 Member

We took our MX to Top Geer in Woodbridge for the work a couple of weeks ago. Brooks did a good job and the cost was very reasonable.

5F483758-726C-4E30-A31B-6909A40ED2E0.jpeg

• Like x 2
  3. Julie's MS

Julie's MS Member

Model X looks amazing. I would have thought by now that Tesla would have offered this a an option for new orders.

4. Jctin

Jctin Member

Attached Files:

5. RyersonX

RyersonX Member

The side mirror is going to be the most difficult part to do. Also, there are so many blacks to choose from. Gloss/Satin/Matte black, Metallic black,and deep black... 21369260_450528408661368_1983599542190189798_n.jpg

6. pcons

pcons Support Movember: https://mobro.co/13874276?mc=1

If you are a DIY type:

Its too cold now, but I'll likely go this route in the spring. The mirrors are a bit of a pain from all the research I've done, but for sure the handles and window trim should be do-able. Maybe even leaving the mirrors as-is wont look totally dumb.

I've run into a few model 3 owners in the wild with chrome delete and they all seem to be paying around $700....too much for me considering the guy in this video says it took him 4 hours in his first try. Depends how comfortable you are doing things like this of course....

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. 5_+JqckQttqck

5_+JqckQttqck Member

Having done 3M PPF on my 3, it took a good two to three weekends. Lots of fails and learning curve - if you don't have the time and patience, paying someone else to do it is worth the money.

I have no experience with Vinyl but from what I've watch online, vinyl is more forgiving than PPF to install DIY. A heat gun releases the bond and allows for adjustments and tightening.

8. SWMONTY

SWMONTY Member

I did the chrome delete myself and tried and failed at PPF. Chrome delete is MUCH more forgiving.

I give my chrome delete job a 7 out of 10. The mirrors are a nightmare and took me over one hour for each mirror (I took one off and did the other on the vehicle, if I were to do it again, leave them on). I gave up on trying to do them in one piece and have several, well placed seams that are invisible from 3 feet away. I also have a sliver of chrome hear and there, but again, from 3 feet away you can't see them.

I used the video posted and bought the exact material. You can always spend about $30 on a small amount of material and give it a try. I spent less than $100 and was quoted $600-700 for a professional.

• Informative x 2
  9. 5_+JqckQttqck

5_+JqckQttqck Member

There's a video of a professional vinyl guy explaining how to do mirrors using a specialized seem tape. Worth checking out on YouTube. Ammo guy was the host and the vinyl guy was the installer on an used R8. Silver/gray to sky blue wrap.