Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Color matching my original red paint is turning out to be impossible!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had some rock damage on my 21 MY from the windstorm in Colorado last year. The certified Tesla bodyshop that USAA paid to repaint the entire car was unable to paint the car the original red color. It's now a dark, dull red. The real Tesla collision center in Colorado has refused to get involved, even though I was willing to pay their high price. I don't know what to do now. Is it impossible to get a red model Y repainted to its original red color? Attached are before and after photos.

Attachments

• 20210723_103055.jpg
    20210723_103055.jpg
    499.7 KB · Views: 216
  • 20230127_122741.jpg
    20230127_122741.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 146
Not impossible at all, I just had my red model 3 painted after getting rear ended and it matches perfectly. It looks like they didn't put on the pearl clearcoat. The red is a tri-coat system and maybe they didn't know this or just skipped the pearl coat since it's expensive. I would not pay for it and demand they fix it.

• Helpful
Reactions: zoomer0056
I had some rock damage on my 21 MY from the windstorm in Colorado last year. The certified Tesla bodyshop that USAA paid to repaint the entire car was unable to paint the car the original red color. It's now a dark, dull red. The real Tesla collision center in Colorado has refused to get involved, even though I was willing to pay their high price. I don't know what to do now. Is it impossible to get a red model Y repainted to its original red color? Attached are before and after photos.

This is an issue with the shop you had repair the vehicle.

Not impossible at all, I just had my red model 3 painted after getting rear ended and it matches perfectly. It looks like they didn't put on the pearl clearcoat. The red is a tri-coat system and maybe they didn't know this or just skipped the pearl coat since it's expensive. I would not pay for it and demand they fix it.
The body shop that painted it, has agreed to pay another body shop to repaint it again. Another body shop has already turned me down, and the Tesla Collision Center in Denver doesn't want to do it either, been though I agreed to pay the extra cost myself for their higher prices. I'm at a loss.

This is an issue with the shop you had repair the vehicle.
The body shop that painted it, has agreed to pay another body shop to repaint it again. Another body shop has already turned me down, and the Tesla Collision Center in Denver doesn't want to do it either, even though I agreed to pay the extra cost myself for their higher prices. I'm at a loss.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
It shouldn't need to be done at a "Tesla certified" shop at all, in fact, I'd probably go with the most reputable paint shop you can find as painting cars is not something unique to the brand. There are some nuances to Teslas, like knowing how to remove cameras, etc. but they should be able to figure that out.

The body shop that painted it, has agreed to pay another body shop to repaint it again. Another body shop has already turned me down, and the Tesla Collision Center in Denver doesn't want to do it either, even though I agreed to pay the extra cost myself for their higher prices. I'm at a loss.

That is quite the pickle then. None of them want to fix (or be responsible) for re painting the car that someone else already messed up I guess. Perhaps the solution @1965Falcon has is the best one. A reputable automotive paint shop.

Reactions: 1965Falcon
That is quite the pickle then. None of them want to fix (or be responsible) for re painting the car that someone else already messed up I guess. Perhaps the solution @1965Falcon has is the best one. A reputable automotive paint shop.
Any reputable paint shop will strip the car down to metal, and start with a fresh canvas. Basically exactly what the first shop should have done considering they were repainting the entire car. Your in Colorado so I don't know of the caliber of shops there, but I assume like anywhere there are weathly people with hi end cars there are professional shops. If I were in your shoes I would my local Ferrari or Lamborghini dealer and ask them who they use for body work. I can assure you they know how to paint cars as any work i've ever had done on either of mine when picking up its inside of a light booth with paint lights on blast. While pricing might be a little bit more, it would have been alot less then all this headache. Like many others have said, they didnt bother to put the tri coat on the car, its flat and not 3 layer paint. These people should just close up there shop, and the audacity to call themselves a tesla authorized body shop.