Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confused

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 14 kW solar system here in Orlando and last year we added 4 powerwall 2's. Our house has 2 electrical panels. We were told during installation of the powerwalls that only 1 of the panels would be backed up by the powerwalls.

I wanted to test the system to see what parts of the house would be powered during a power outage. This sunny morning I tried the go off grid feature. I expected parts of the house powered by non backed up panel to lose power, however when I disconnected from the grid, the whole house stayed powered up.
I tried this 3 different times and the same thing happened each time.

I dont understand why the whole house stayed powered up when I went off grid.

We have a 14 kW solar system here in Orlando and last year we added 4 powerwall 2's. Our house has 2 electrical panels. We were told during installation of the powerwalls that only 1 of the panels would be backed up by the powerwalls.

I wanted to test the system to see what parts of the house would be powered during a power outage. This sunny morning I tried the go off grid feature. I expected parts of the house powered by non backed up panel to lose power, however when I disconnected from the grid, the whole house stayed powered up.
I tried this 3 different times and the same thing happened each time.

I dont understand why the whole house stayed powered up when I went off grid.
The only part of your house that went off-grid was the backed-up portion. When you use the "Go off-grid" function, the Powerwall gateway disconnects from the grid. The panel that isn't connected to the gateway would still be connected to the grid. You'd have to flip the main breaker in the non-backed-up panel to see what goes down.