Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connected Garage Door Opener Interfacing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With one of the latest software updates the ability to interface with MyQ has been added. My question is where does that leave Genie Aladdin Connect? It appears this upgrade does not support Aladdin Connect???? Does anyone know of a work around?

A MyQ module can be added to some Genie openers but that would add another interface to deal with.

Thoughts???

With one of the latest software updates the ability to interface with MyQ has been added. My question is where does that leave Genie Aladdin Connect? It appears this upgrade does not support Aladdin Connect???? Does anyone know of a work around?

A MyQ module can be added to some Genie openers but that would add another interface to deal with.

Thoughts???
I say stay away from MyQ atm until they resolve the bug that is going on affecting users.

In my use of the MyQ. Is not worth the subscription. I say stick with Genie or save up for HomeLink.

Upvote 0
Not sure about the Aladdin Connect, but I'm really digging MyQ. I did the 5 year subscription at half the cost of the HomeLink. Have not noticed any "bugs" myself, works flawlessly. If there are some bugs, I'm sure they'll be fixed in short order.
I say stay away from MyQ atm until they resolve the bug that is going on affecting users.

In my use of the MyQ. Is not worth the subscription. I say stick with Genie or save up for HomeLink.
I’ve used MyQ prior with no problems, the bug that’s being spoken on seems to be an isolated issue. Just prior to the purchase of our Tesla my door opener took a dump and I switched over to a Genie which comes with integrated Aladdin Connect. Hence lies my problem. Wish Tesla would have given the option to interface with either one.

Upvote 0
I'm wondering something similar. I have an Aladdin Connect door opener. I paid to import it into Canada because Aladdin Connect IS FREE! The Model 3 I'm considering buying doesn't even show a Homlink option. It only shows MyQ as the only garage door intigration. I have to assumer somebody bribed Tesla for this.

Upvote 0
You can do something like this for under $30.

*youtube video removed*
As of the last time I looked it up, there's no software that can do that on an Android phone that doesn't require a monthly subscription (with Aladdin connect, as of spring winter 2021 when I installed the openers). I'm not paying per month to avoid pressing a button. That's a matter of principle for me. I'm OK just hiding a garage door remote where I can reach it and it's difficult for a thief to find. It just pisses me off that Tesla would partner with MyQ, which sucks, and leave everyone else swinging in the wind.

I had purchased the Aladdin connect so that I could say "Hey Google, open my garage door", which I can even do while riding my motorcycle. The problem is that Google updated their security and made it so that I can't do that without unlocking my phone. This is way more distracting then just pressing a door remote and I gave up trying to use it. I do use the phone app as a 'garage door opener that's always in my pocket and works from the end of the street'. Very handy when taking a company car home.

• Informative
Reactions: TBrownTX
Upvote 0
Not sure we can post links here, but this you tube video explained what i was doing wrong. Before even starting the homelink process you need to have the garage door remote (clicker) ready with the correct light (red) that shines through the buttons on the remote. Once you have that ready, go to the homelink setup in your tesla. Another tip is when it has you press the remote at the front bumper, press it multiple times until the lights flash. Not hold down the button on the remote. Continue until homelink has you going to the garage door opener to push the learn button. Then you have only 20 seconds to run back to your tesla to press the button on the screen. Save and it worked like a champ in my car. Only took all day to figure out wth i was doing wrong. Hope the video helps as it did with me. Very frustrating but worth the time.

Upvote 0