Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MyQ won’t open garage, mostly closes OK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve read other posts but didn’t find a solution that helps. Here’s my situation:

2023 Model Y on latest software. I’ve rebooted car, disconnected and reconnected MyQ to car. Even completely disconnected MyQ from door opener and reinstalled.

I’ve had MyQ installed for 3 months and had intermittent fails at opening or closing. But recently it seems every time I approach the garage it registers on the car as opening but door doesn’t. When I open the settings on the car screen and press the open bar it opens the door.

I do have a Wi-Fi extender in our garage. I’m going to try it without that, though I’ve not had download issues with Tesla updates using that.

Any advice on other things I can try before I call vendor support? Thanks in advance.

Patrick

The whole system is screwy. I've been using it since March and it's 50/50 at best. If I leave the LTE setting to default then it almost never closes because the handoff as soon as you put the car in Reverse breaks the connection. I then switched over to "stay connected to wifi" mode and it usually closes, but now I have issues with it opening if my car happens to detect the wifi as I'm approaching. Basically the opposite problem as it tries to hand off from LTE to wifi.

I'm going to cancel my subscription and just buy the HimeLink adapter. I had that on my old Tesla and while it wasn’t perfect it worked way more reliably than this.

I paid for a year of MyQ hoping that a software update would fix the issues, but every time I leave my house it's just an exercise in frustration.

The whole system is screwy. I've been using it since March and it's 50/50 at best. If I leave the LTE setting to default then it almost never closes because the handoff as soon as you put the car in Reverse breaks the connection. I then switched over to "stay connected to wifi" mode and it usually closes, but now I have issues with it opening if my car happens to detect the wifi as I'm approaching. Basically the opposite problem as it tries to hand off from LTE to wifi.

I'm going to cancel my subscription and just buy the HimeLink adapter. I had that on my old Tesla and while it wasn’t perfect it worked way more reliably than this.

I paid for a year of MyQ hoping that a software update would fix the issues, but every time I leave my house it's just an exercise in frustration.
Exactly the same issue here.

Reactions: Dan203
Exactly the same issue here.

I ordered the HomeLink adapter and have an appointment to install it next Saturday. I wanted MyQ to work because it’s the more technical solution and actually knows if the door is open or closed, but the implementation just doesn’t work in practice.

Maybe in time they’ll figure out how to make it work right, but I'm not waiting to find out.