Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering a Model 3 or Cadillac ATS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jaws2003,

Our kids car seats would NOT fit in the ATS. The m3 has a slightly larger back seat than the CTS. I had a Focus before the GTI. The Focus is larger than the ATS. The ATS is unbelievably small. With my seat set for a 6 foot driver I can not sit in the back seat. The ATS is a driver's car. If you need any utility at all out the car, I would suggest a CTS or the CT6. The CT6 is an awesome car and MHO, is a beautiful thing in person. It is beautifully built as well.

SMALset,

We have an E Class Wagon which used to belong to the CEO of Coke. It is perfect. Every time I sit in the thing I state "I love this car." Since we go the Tesla the Mercedes battery went dead due to un-use and the valve cover gasket dried out and began leaking. You are correct. Once you have a Tesla everything else feels so old and dirty.

Prof.

One of the joys of owning a Tesla is that from time to time you will get an update sent to your car. It will add the latest and greatest software, so your car actually gets better over time.
Just a few days ago most of the fleet got an undate that increased the performance of their cars, added one pedal driving, a couple video games and other enhancements.
Keeps your car fresh and up to date. Never going to get anything like that from Cadillac.

Reactions: EinSV and jaws2003
Did your friend/co-worker explain about regen braking before having you get behind the wheel? They really should have (or set it to Low for you to try out) and explained to pivot your foot on your heel, slowly lifting your toe area away from the pedal to slow down. The heel stays anchored in place until you want to use the brake to stop*. Definitely don't want to lift your foot off the pedal suddenly or that would result in an abrupt action.

*BTW owner's software is being updated now that will also give the driver the option to truly be one-foot driving. With the Stopping Mode set now to "Hold", the car will come to a complete stop without moving from the accelerator to the brake pedal. (watch around 2:36)

She explained it when I was driving. She also had the setting on standard regeneration.

Jaws2003,

Our kids car seats would NOT fit in the ATS. The m3 has a slightly larger back seat than the CTS. I had a Focus before the GTI. The Focus is larger than the ATS. The ATS is unbelievably small. With my seat set for a 6 foot driver I can not sit in the back seat. The ATS is a driver's car. If you need any utility at all out the car, I would suggest a CTS or the CT6. The CT6 is an awesome car and MHO, is a beautiful thing in person. It is beautifully built as well.

SMALset,

We have an E Class Wagon which used to belong to the CEO of Coke. It is perfect. Every time I sit in the thing I state "I love this car." Since we go the Tesla the Mercedes battery went dead due to un-use and the valve cover gasket dried out and began leaking. You are correct. Once you have a Tesla everything else feels so old and dirty.

Prof.
That's very small for the ATS then. I will check out the other caddies. Honestly though the more everyone talks about the Tesla the more I like it.

You couldn’t pay me to drive a Cadillac. Too many bad experiences. It’s like they take a 1/2 decent vehicle from GM then do everything they can to make it less reliable.

tried to talk my brother out of buying a caddy. He didn’t take my advice and was left stranded 3-4x before he traded it off. Dealership couldn’t ever figure it out, or I should say they “fixed” it every time. Total ownership about a year.

I took a chance in buying a Tesla. (Nearest service center was 5hrs away). But decided that I had to (heart won over brain). So far (6months, 7k miles) I’m very pleased with my decision. This is one of the best cars I’ve ever owned. If not the best.

if you’re all about modifying cars for speed, don’t buy an electric car. However if you like low maintenance, low bullshit, factory fast...buy the Tesla. It’s really all about your priorities. (I still wouldn’t buy a Caddy). Or just keep a gas car or two around for toys and have a fast daily that gets the equivalent to 100mpg.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaws2003 and UTMB
2. I will need to add a sub panel. Has anyone had to do this and has it been taxing to your electrical system in your home? Also how much did it cost?

Yes, had to add another panel in the basement because the original was full. Then ran a 100A service line to the garage and terminated it in another panel so that we can add another HPWC later. You should see the gauge of these service lines: huge. Hired a pro from a company that has done commercial and res work for us. Plus they’ve installed public chargers around town. For a project like this expect to spend hundreds, maybe more than a grand. I will pull Cat6, but will never do line voltage, much less service lines or boxes!

4. Can you totally turn off the regenerative braking now with the software updates? I felt like I was being pulled back with this feature.

Shame about that. Regen is my favorite thing about driving electric, and the new one-pedal option (a software update over the air) was like they were reading my mind. Cool to think about reclaiming kinetic energy as electric charge that will propel your vehicle at the next light... or tomorrow morning.

9. Are these cars really "set it and forget it" for the most part? I know there are other things to be done to the car but comparing to a gas car is there a big difference?

Yes, totally set and forget. The ICE cars I have owned have required lots of maintenance and repairs. People who make the switch to electric will NOT tolerate the sorry excuse for reliability that I experienced with BMW and Audi. Nor will they blindly accept maintenance schedules that require expensive oil changes or spurious work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sherlo and jaws2003
1. I plan on having the car out in the elements. How will a NEMA 14-50 or Wall connector hold up? I live in North Florida. Temperatures can range from Mid 20F at the lowest in the winter up to 100F in the summer.

The wall charger will be fine, i wouldn’t put a nema 14-50 outside... so i’d get the hardware version.

2. I will need to add a sub panel. Has anyone had to do this and has it been taxing to your electrical system in your home? Also how much did it cost?

I highly doubt you need a sub panel. But, if you did, i think your total cost of install would be around $2K all in.

3. Tires. I've heard from other YouTubers that the 21 inch tires on the Model S do not last long. Is this the same for the 20 inch or 18 inch tires on the model 3?

I have the 19” ones. Can’t really speak to how long they last as i’ve only had the car 6 months. The major problem i’ve heard about is curb rash because the wheels don’t stick out further than the rim. If you are careful you shouldn’t have an issue. Even less so with the 18” ones.

4. Can you totally turn off the regenerative braking now with the software updates? I felt like I was being pulled back with this feature.

yes

5. The lady that works in my building was affected by Hurricane Michael and her Tesla was damaged. Are there any issues with the Model 3 with receiving replacement parts now? This has been a HUGE factor for me in between choosing a Model 3 or S.

No, but the actually chances of getting into an accident are small, so i wouldn’t make it a huge factor.

6. Anyone pay for their model 3 cash or put 50%+ down? I really want to keep my debt down and plan to save up my cash for the Tesla if I decide to get it. I want to get another car ASAP but if I pay for the Tesla cash I would need to save for 2 years. One year I can put a sizable down payment on it or just buy the Cadillac ATS cash.

Tesla accepts cash in the form of check.

7. Performance. I drove the dual motor long range model I believe and liked it. How much of a difference is the performance model? From my understanding the dual motor long range can run 12.7 in the quarter mile and the performance model can run 11.8 in the quarter. Modding the Cadillac can net the same times as well as the performance.

The lr awd and performance are the same car but the lr awd is software locked, i believe (not 100 percent on that) The performance also has better brakes and springs.

8. How much did your light bill increase? I just have a co-op that charges two different prices. Anything under 1,000KWH is 11.8 cents and anything over 1,000KWH is 13.8 cents. I spoke with the lady that works in my building and she was stating that hers went up by $50. She has a co-op as well. Also she drives 160 miles round trip each day but I drive 80 round trip. She also charges to 94% every night.

It would be like running an electric stove for 4 hours a day.

9. Are these cars really "set it and forget it" for the most part? I know there are other things to be done to the car but comparing to a gas car is there a big difference?

Yes, you dont have to hang out in the rain or waste minute of your life in a shady gas station waiting for your car to fill up while you breath in gasoline fumes. All you do is plug in and walk away.

10. Dealing with being "ICED" or people blocking parking spaces. Has anyone had to deal with this and if so how did you deal with it?

This is only a problem at destination chargers. I use supercharges when i’m traveling so i don’t have to worry about destination charging.

Reactions: jaws2003
You couldn’t pay me to drive a Cadillac. Too many bad experiences. It’s like they take a 1/2 decent vehicle from GM then do everything they can to make it less reliable.

tried to talk my brother out of buying a caddy. He didn’t take my advice and was left stranded 3-4x before he traded it off. Dealership couldn’t ever figure it out, or I should say they “fixed” it every time. Total ownership about a year.

I took a chance in buying a Tesla. (Nearest service center was 5hrs away). But decided that I had to (heart won over brain). So far (6months, 7k miles) I’m very pleased with my decision. This is one of the best cars I’ve ever owned. If not the best.

if you’re all about modifying cars for speed, don’t buy an electric car. However if you like low maintenance, low bullshit, factory fast...buy the Tesla. It’s really all about your priorities. (I still wouldn’t buy a Caddy). Or just keep a gas car or two around for toys and have a fast daily that gets the equivalent to 100mpg.

This is what I like about the Tesla's. They come out of the box fast. Even their base models. Most economic cars run about a 16-17 second quarter mile. These electric cars run 13.5 or faster. I want to be in the 11 second range. I've always thought that was fast enough to compete with a modded car or an ICE car that comes fast out of the box. Maintenance on these modded and sports cars are higher and with a tesla it's mainly the software updates that they have. The hardware from what I've seen is usually of a good build.

Reactions: UTMB
Good points had by all.

I'm cracking up over North Florida being considered an extreme element lmao! First time I've heard Florida and cold temps in TMC.

Lol. Yes Northern Florida can have some cold weather. IIRC last year or the year before we had snow. Nothing like up in the northern states but enough cold, snow and ice to shut down parts of the interstate. The western part of North Florida(Before the Apalachicola River) usually gets the brunt of the severe weather for some reason.

ATS sales are pathetic. See Cadillac ATS US car sales figures While Tesla is selling thousands of Model 3s every week in North America.

284F471A-5755-4763-83C7-1FD5DD4B1D4A.jpeg

• Helpful

8. How much did your light bill increase? I just have a co-op that charges two different prices. Anything under 1,000KWH is 11.8 cents and anything over 1,000KWH is 13.8 cents. I spoke with the lady that works in my building and she was stating that hers went up by $50. She has a co-op as well. Also she drives 160 miles round trip each day but I drive 80 round trip. She also charges to 94% every night.

10. Dealing with being "ICED" or people blocking parking spaces. Has anyone had to deal with this and if so how did you deal with it?

4. You can turn off regen braking (almost completely), but you really should give it a try. You get used to it after a couple of hours, and it is a lot easier to drive with just 1 pedal.

8. I drive about 25 miles - 30 miles daily, and I have about the same prices for electricity. My electric bill went up less than $20.

9. My wife's gas car is 2 years old. I had to take it for 3 oil changes and 2 recalls so far. Zero with Tesla.

10. Yes, that happens. Nothing you can do about it, just move on. You can leave a note if that person does it repeatedly.

• Informative

For what its worth, Consumer Reports just ranked Cadillac at the very bottom of its reliability standings.Tesla is again "recommended" on the same list.

• Informative
Reactions: jaws2003 and UTMB
For what its worth, Consumer Reports just ranked Cadillac at the very bottom of its reliability standings.Tesla is again "recommended" on the same list.
Did not know that! Thank you for allowing me to reaffirm my stance. I used to work on the damn things and Cadillac was great at pissing me off with stupid designs.

As a counterpoint, the only issue I’ve ever had with my Cadillacs was the bent control arm when I slid on ice into the curb. Otherwise, just oil changes and tire rotations.

• Funny
Reactions: ISoGrumpy