Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering Tesla Solar in northern NJ - should I?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DukeofURL

Apr 1, 2016
North NJ
Hey all - I've had a number of Teslas and despite their infamous customer service reputation, I love everything I have from them, and the few problems I have experienced have ultimately been resolved. I'm considering adding solar to my house, and of course Tesla is the first provider that pops into my head - primarily as the powerwalls allow you to leverage your solar investment when the grid power is out (very important to me), and also the app ties it all together nicely (not as important but still nice to have).

My question (and the reason I'm posting in the Mid-Atlantic forum and not the Tesla Energy one) is to ask if there's anything I should know before I go down this road. I know there can be some significant delays in getting the final PTO, but are there any other gotchas? Are the large majority of people satisfied? Are there things I should look out for? Should I go through a living, breathing SA for this or should I just do it through the website?

Thanks!

Tesla - getting the right person in NJ took tons of phone calls and emails. I put it hours to get to someone helpful (essentially the NJ utility relations project manager person). The delay was in getting my as-built paperwork finalized and submitted to NJ Clean Energy program.
I am just about to start this process of adding Tesla solar panels and powerwalls to my new home. Any tips or recommendations? Or maybe could you provide the contact information for this NJ utility relations project manager?

I have a feeling this is going to be similar to my two year battle with Comcast getting new consruction, site survey and system installation for raw land. :(

I am just about to start this process of adding Tesla solar panels and powerwalls to my new home. Any tips or recommendations? Or maybe could you provide the contact information for this NJ utility relations project manager?

I have a feeling this is going to be similar to my two year battle with Comcast getting new consruction, site survey and system installation for raw land. :(
Understand the process and be involved are my only tips. The process through installation went well for me (basically everything up until they get paid). They did the permits, town approvals, install, and utility approval parts fairly well. I called the town once or twice to check on status and ask questions for my own benefit.

Getting the TRECs online was the hardest part given the lack of incentive they had after getting paid for the install. If you have any questions, PM me.

Reactions: TProfit