Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering used X through private party...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are considering purchasing a low mileage 2019 X Long Range from a private party and wanted to get feedback on what I should look out for. What is the cutoff for the latest "Raven" build, and how can we be sure we have the X rated for 351 miles? We are looking to replace an ICE vehicle that has far more storage then the Y, and it is a little bigger than the X, but range is a big deal with the wife. Any other private party Tesla buyers out there, and anything else I should look for? The only other used vehicle I have purchased was a BMW M3 certified pre-owned, thus allaying much of my angst about buying someone else's car.

Unless it's at a significant discount, why a recent used model?

I purchased a 2019 inventory X in July that was 14k off new.. of course, Tesla reduced the pricing a week later across the board.

But, you will lose free supercharging (some say it doesn't matter, but I've saved close to $1k in electric costs using the Supercharger near me).

What is the build date for the X you're looking at? If you have access to the screen, or can get the current holder to take a picture of the Vehicle information page (on the main display screen, it's the page with the VIN and mileage) assuming it's up to date software-wise. The more information page will tell you the motor types for the front and rear, and the Autopilot computer version.

• Helpful
Reactions: turtlesz and IdaX
Here in Az if you purchased a used vehicle from a private owner, no sales tax. in my city we are at 9.2% county, state and city tax, so close to a $9,000 savings to me to buy the used 2019 I bought with 4,000 miles from a private owenr.

It takes a vehicle built in 2016 or earlier (and maybe very early 2017?) for free supercharging to stay for the life of the car when ownership is transferred.
This isn't even true anymore, as Tesla will at times remove the FUSC from 2016's once they receive it. Pure speculation, but I noticed that they did this last summer from July-Sept...

Reach out to a local showroom and get connected with a OA. You may find a deeply discounted inventory model. Deals pop up at the end of the quarter which is the next 4 days. They want everything left sold so you may get lucky. The X is larger than a Y and the FWD have been convenient with baby.