Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consindering importing a Japanese Tesla to The Bahamas, What works, what doesn't? Due to them being RHD and having the same charging standard.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, everyone,
I'm considering buying and shipping a used Tesla from Japan to the Bahamas. There are several Teslas available here, but all of them are US-made. The main reason is the price difference and RHD. I know Teslas from Japan use the same charging standard as the US, so it should be good.
My main concerns are as follows:
  • Will the car receive software updates?
  • Will the car infotainment language be able to change?
  • Is there anything else we should consider?

Reactions: hiroshiy
The car can receive updates over WiFi so I don’t see any reason why not. However the maps and navigation are locked to the home country so would not be functional. Do the maps work on US cars though, possibly not.
Most likely as I can change the MCU language on my Australian to many different languages.

This thread has some information about the differences between Japanese Teslas and US Teslas so may provide some more clues.

Reactions: hiroshiy
Even in Japan, you can change the infotainment language to English, so it's no problem. I use English for my infotainment. English voice recognition should also work, provided that there is a WiFi connection. You might be able to change your car's SIM card and connect it to LTE.
Not sure about the Supercharger, but there isn't any (yet), so I assume no problem. Didn't know that the Bahamas are RHD.

Thanks for the info. I can get around the SIM card issue by getting a wireless hotspot. There is no Supercharging here, but I planned to install a home charger. We drive on the left-hand side, but due to our proximity to the USA, we have a lot of LHD cars.

Reactions: meloccom
Currently torn between two cars. I'm unsure if I can link here, so I will post the reference codes for them. BT003392 & BT304887 I can't translate the info on the screen due to bad quality. Can anyone help with that? Thank you in advance.

Hello, everyone,
I'm considering buying and shipping a used Tesla from Japan to the Bahamas. There are several Teslas available here, but all of them are US-made. The main reason is the price difference and RHD. I know Teslas from Japan use the same charging standard as the US, so it should be good.
My main concerns are as follows:
Teslas from Japan 'may' use the same charging standard, but I found it interesting that the owners manual (in English) for Japanese Teslas has slightly different specifications information for charging than the Tesla model Y instructions for North America. As you probably know the voltages are different here compared to the US and other parts of Japan. I have however successfully charged the car using the 1 Supercharger in Sapporo and now at home with either the Wall Charger or the Gen 3 mobile charger.

I believe the first Tesla Model S in Japan was an American import. I met the owner at the first Kobe SuC maybe 2016. He told me he made a personal appeal to Elon Musk to get it. I’m expecting any differences in power don’t have any effect on Supercharging—NACS is NACS.