Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Console map app is not great

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RDoc

2021 Prerefresh Model S
Aug 24, 2012
Boston North Shore
The new map app on the console, the one that comes up when you're on a navigation trip that shows a miniature map of the route and turns, has a UI problem, IMHO.

When you're getting close to a turn, or in the middle of it, e.g. a complex highway exit, the app zooms in too far. As you approach the turn, the display switches first from perspective to overhead, then it starts zooming in. The problem is that because it zooms in too far I don't get enough context in a complex situation. That's also exactly where I have to pay more attention to driving which means glancing away from the display as it zooms in. By the time I've gotten back to the display, it can be zoomed in so far as to be meaningless because there's no local context, just a bunch of parallel exit and entrance roads.

IMHO it would be a lot more useful if they didn't zoom in so far.

I've always thought it did a great job changing the zoom to an appropriate level to understand how the intersection works and where you should be going. With the range of size and complexity of intersections though, it seems likely that some times its not going to be perfect. In those cases I'd just use the 17" screen and manually zoom to the appropriate level.

IMO it labels too many roads. First drive with it today and I noticed it kept labeling random roads or exits down the road (75 north) in front of me... It would make sense to label and exit I need to be aware of if I'm going to be taking that exit, etc but if I'm not I'm not sure I want to be informed of every exist known to man out ahead of me... Perhaps I just need to get used to it but it had me constantly looking over the center (large map) to see if it was going to route me around traffic detouring me from my normal route because of an accident or something... nope. Same route as always, just the left hand turn by turn likes to label roads and exits that have little or nothing to do with your route. Perhaps this new system can be tweaked to be less aggressive in labeling only the roads/exits on your planned to turn by turn route?