Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continental EC DWS06 255/40 R18 tires on RWD M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought Continental DWS06 245/45 earlier this month. It actually doesn't look that great to have the rubber sticking out past the rim. Going with a 40 series might stretch them a little, but 255 would look silly. If I had it to do over I would get the factory size 235/45. I can't tell what the range penalty is yet since it got cold right as I changed tires, but given the clear increase in traction it's probably significant.

How do they ride compared to stock? How about road noise?

It drives like a completely different car compared to the MXM4 stock tires. No more under steer, great traction in the rain and a lot more confidence in general. I can't really tell if the road noise has changed. I had the same tires on my AWD 4 series and Model S, they're especially good in the snow for not being snow tires. I can't justify real winter tires with the weather in Portland, but it's nice to be able to get up to the mountain in snow without resorting to chains. Haven't tested that out yet on my RWD Model 3, which I expect to still need chains in snow.

Reactions: rlb4
It drives like a completely different car compared to the MXM4 stock tires. No more under steer, great traction in the rain and a lot more confidence in general. I can't really tell if the road noise has changed. I had the same tires on my AWD 4 series and Model S, they're especially good in the snow for not being snow tires. I can't justify real winter tires with the weather in Portland, but it's nice to be able to get up to the mountain in snow without resorting to chains. Haven't tested that out yet on my RWD Model 3, which I expect to still need chains in snow.

I was thinking of getting 245/45 18 as well for the same reasons as you. Do have any pics showing how much it sticks out past the rim?

I was also looking into getting the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 at 245/45ZR18 and would be really interested in photos showing how much the tire sticks out past the rim. I honestly think I would prefer the tire to stick out more to help prevent curb rash. I'd rather not have the rims stick out like with the stock tires. @fluxemag

I don't plan any snow driving, but I don't love the feel of the stock michelin's.

thinking of changing tread block patterns (when its time for new tires, maybe a year from now) to something that won't line up with ruts in the road.

curious if you notice any change on that regard. sometimes even the reflectors that are embedded in the road (but stick out from the surface) cause jitter as my tires hit them at just the right angle.

would love to hear how this tire compares.

I just got a set of the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 at 245/45ZR18 put on. They look fine to me. Photos attached.

IMG_20200107_123807.jpg
IMG_20200107_123813.jpg

Reactions: Shirt4878