Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Converting a pool to salt water

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would like some input of anyone who has converted their chlorine pool to salt water, positives and negatives.

I have never had anything but a salt chlorine generator . My neighbor doesn't like it because the process creates the need for the addition of lots of Muratic Acid. I think he would like to switch back but there are drawbacks and positives to both. Since I don't remember how a chlorine pool works I only know that I must occasionally add a bag of salt and some baking soda and muriatic acid. I don't find it that difficult. You will just have a different source of chlorine. Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

We switched to salt a few years ago and love it! We have no more algae issues and crystal clear water with much less effort than previously and you don't smell like chlorine when you get out of the pool. Once a week I add a little hydrochloric acid as I know what it takes each week. A bag of salt once month or so and all is good, once we got the right setting on the chlorine generator. My Pinch A Penny store is 5 minutes away and can get a chemical reading right away for free. The generator cell requires a cleaning with acid once or twice a year. Highly recommend.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: X-pilot and Ciaopec
We switched to salt a few years ago and love it! We have no more algae issues and crystal clear water with much less effort than previously and you don't smell like chlorine when you get out of the pool. Once a week I add a little hydrochloric acid as I know what it takes each week. A bag of salt once month or so and all is good, once we got the right setting on the chlorine generator. My Pinch A Penny store is 5 minutes away and can get a chemical reading right away for free. The generator cell requires a cleaning with acid once or twice a year. Highly recommend.
Thanks for the info, we have had our pool for 40 years and for some reason this summer it was using lots of chlorine and still had some algae. We did have record high temps so probably accounts for the need of more chlorine. Just tired of dealing with it and thought salt water would be better.

Reactions: scooter62
Usually, if water is well balanced, you will not need to clean your SWCG (Salt Water Chlorine Generator) at all.
Also, you only need to add salt if there's lots of splash out or after doing many backwash/drain to waste.

For best results and total control of your pool chemicals, you should take care of your own water testing with a good test kit. Not hard to do at all and you'll save $$$ by adding the chemicals that you really need to have... not what the pool store tries to sell you.

Test kit:
Test Kits Compared - Trouble Free Pool

If there's algae, you should follow SLAM procedure. Again, easy to do:
SLAM - Shock Level and Maintain - Trouble Free Pool

Hope it will help you.

Christian

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
Usually, if water is well balanced, you will not need to clean your SWCG (Salt Water Chlorine Generator) at all.
Also, you only need to add salt if there's lots of splash out or after doing many backwash/drain to waste.

For best results and total control of your pool chemicals, you should take care of your own water testing with a good test kit. Not hard to do at all and you'll save $$$ by adding the chemicals that you really need to have... not what the pool store tries to sell you.

Test kit:
Test Kits Compared - Trouble Free Pool

If there's algae, you should follow SLAM procedure. Again, easy to do:
SLAM - Shock Level and Maintain - Trouble Free Pool

Hope it will help you.

Christian
Thanks, we have been doing all that ourselves(my wife was a Winery chemist) for 40 years with no problems. Just this summer having some issues and tired of adding gallons of chlorine, so thinking about converting to salt.