Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model X with Hardware 4 - Trailer wiring non-functional/ 3 volts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery on a 2023 Model X in early December 2023 with the trailer package installed. The unit came with a seven way wiring connector. I have not installed a brake controller but the wiring for a four wire setup should work with a 7 to 4 wire converter. With the converter installed, I am getting a 3 Volt positive measurement on the brake, left, and right turn signals, along with a good ground. The three volts stay on constantly while the car is on, and does not respond to input from the brakes or turn signals. I stumped the local Tesla Ranger, and await some other solution from Tesla. Anybody run into this or better yet have a solution?

Reactions: adamek
Thanks ewoodrick for responding. I have checked and several times and one Model Y owner was successful after the recent Christmas update with the wiring being turned on. My Model X did not update wiring at the Christmas cycle. Haven't seen anybody else post that they are stuck in what I believe is a test cycle 3v. To me, Tesla advertising a tow package with wiring and not including that it does not or will not work is deceptive and needs to be addressed. Towing ability was a deciding factor for me in buying the Model X. Anybody else having this issue?

Thanks ewoodrick for responding. I have checked and several times and one Model Y owner was successful after the recent Christmas update with the wiring being turned on. My Model X did not update wiring at the Christmas cycle. Haven't seen anybody else post that they are stuck in what I believe is a test cycle 3v. To me, Tesla advertising a tow package with wiring and not including that it does not or will not work is deceptive and needs to be addressed. Towing ability was a deciding factor for me in buying the Model X. Anybody else having this issue?
From my understanding, it's not Tesla not turning it on, it isn't even wired on some of the cars. The Service Center has to connect the wiring.

What are you towing? Quite a few trailers, even with brakes, don't require 12V

With the converter installed, I am getting a 3 Volt positive measurement on the brake, left, and right turn signals, along with a good ground.

The three volts stay on constantly while the car is on, and does not respond to input from the brakes or turn signals. I stumped the local Tesla Ranger,
The bold underlined is what is strange. Have you tested the 7-way connection directly?
What did the Tesla Ranger say exactly?

Purple arrow pointing to correct orientation when identifying pins.
26aYyfq.jpg

Reactions: adamek
I took delivery on a 2023 Model X in early December 2023 with the trailer package installed. The unit came with a seven way wiring connector. I have not installed a brake controller but the wiring for a four wire setup should work with a 7 to 4 wire converter. With the converter installed, I am getting a 3 Volt positive measurement on the brake, left, and right turn signals, along with a good ground. The three volts stay on constantly while the car is on, and does not respond to input from the brakes or turn signals. I stumped the local Tesla Ranger, and await some other solution from Tesla. Anybody run into this or better yet have a solution?

Which does your car have? A flat 4 or round 7? I was expecting a round 7. My Model Y has a round 7.
Measure the voltages on the car without any adapters.

Not all adapters are made equal (or are even wired correctly.

And if you are measuring with a VOM, I wouldn't put much trust in that it is really 3V when loaded. Measure it when connected to a 12V light bulb. 3V may just be the voltage used by the circuit monitor.

I get the same results on my 2024 Model Y Long Range with towing option. Trailer lights not working. 3.2V on each lead, unchanging with hazard or blinker on. Did you ever get it fixed?

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200