Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Newbie - PPF Necessary?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But does that make a difference with resale. In general use, I say no. Paint condition normally isn't measured that closely.
Dealers and wholesalers really just key in on age + mileage.

Private buyers however will consider and haggle over superficial condition.

Not least of all, the reason people want ppf is for their own satisfaction. I like the idea that my car will be more protected against stone chips, regardless of how other people may value it years from now.

Reactions: Chris89topher
I plan to keep my car for a while so I got ppf on the front and the small pieces on the rear doors to protect from rocks thrown by the front tires. I recommend getting front mudflaps and consider getting the pieces of ppf for the rear doors .

I'm glad I got the front ppf. It makes washing, and especially waxing the car easier. With all the glass and with the front ppf there isn't a lot left that I need to wax.

I got smoke tinted ppf for the headlights because it looks so cool.

If you're not planning to keep the car for a while then getting ppf makes less sense. You won't recoup the cost when you sell.

When my Model 3 got resprayed the shop made me a little touchup bottle from the same paint they used on the car.

There was no way I could correct the chips on the car with it. Looks like dabbing whiteout on a school paper.
You don’t apply it like that.
Do it properly and get good results, treat it like whiteout and get crappy results

My 2022 MYLR had paint chips on the hood you could see the aluminum through. I wrapped both my 2023 MYs in matte for protection and to differentiate for the tons of other MYs on the road. If money was tighter I would've done the $1500 front end option.

Attachments

• PXL_20231106_214155728.jpg
    PXL_20231106_214155728.jpg
    684.4 KB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20240216_210751789.jpg
    PXL_20240216_210751789.jpg
    635.7 KB · Views: 15
Hello fellow Tesloids!

As a newbie to the Tesla world, (and as someone who has probably watched by now some 200 hours of Youtube videos outlining the do's and don'ts of owning a Tesla), I am curious to hear from other owners - Is a PPF truly necessary? I live in Toronto which means my car will be exposed to snow and salt every winter. Does that influence the decision of PPF vs no PPF?

Thanks!
the front of an quality low Cd EV is flat and needs debris protection as it moves forward through the air
the best PPF provides that protection, suggestion all Xpel products installed by a certified installer
if the vehicle is a keeper, have fully paint corrected, then ppf: the front bumper, hood, mirrors, pillars, rear quarters and rear bumper top edge
then have a ceramic treatment over the top of the ppf

I had my MY PPF’d only in the front (hood, front bumper, fenders, mirrors, a pillar, rocker panels). The rest was ceramic coated. I don’t plan on keeping this forever but I always like my cars clean so having it PPF’d saves me a lot of hassle. I simply spray and wipe quick detailer without worrying about swirl marks.

Reactions: BitJam
Hello fellow Tesloids!

As a newbie to the Tesla world, (and as someone who has probably watched by now some 200 hours of Youtube videos outlining the do's and don'ts of owning a Tesla), I am curious to hear from other owners - Is a PPF truly necessary? I live in Toronto which means my car will be exposed to snow and salt every winter. Does that influence the decision of PPF vs no PPF?

Thanks!
did you end up getting PPF?

I have a black Y and I’m not sure whether to get matte or gloss. From people who have had gloss what do you think?

i have a black model y. all my cars have been black. love a shiny black car. just soo clean.

went with the clear gloss ppf to keep it new and clean. having a black car is high maintenance but it's something i'm willing to deal with and have been doing so for many years with all my cars.

i have a black model y. all my cars have been black. love a shiny black car. just soo clean.

went with the clear gloss ppf to keep it new and clean. having a black car is high maintenance but it's something i'm willing to deal with and have been doing so for many years with all my cars.
Thanks so much for the reply. I have actually decided on the matte. Fingers crossed I love it.

Reactions: fredzos and Noflash
I thought about over a year ago when I picked up my Y, but could not justify the costs from my local preferred installer. In that one year time, I have maybe one or two dings that need a spot of touch up paint. I would agree with others, not needed at all but personal preference choice. In a high traffic vehicle or area with salt and grime for you it might make sense. YMMV - Good luck and enjoy the car!
what's your area?

Does anyone recommend PPF for Phoenix, Arizona?