Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Corded Mobile Adapter" vs "Gen2 Mobile Bundle" ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The "Corded Mobile Adapter" is $520 and looks like it's hardwired with a NEMA 14-50 ... whereas the Gen2 Mobile Bundle comes i sonly $275 with just a 5-15 but I can slap a 14-50 adapter onto it... is that right?

What's the difference here? Am I missing something? why does the Corded demand a $245 premium? Or is the charger different?

FWIW, there's a two-part article on Clean Technica that details many of the differences between the two varieties of Mobile Connector:
In brief, as @Misternt said, the Gen1 device can charge your car very slightly faster; but the Gen2 device is more technically advanced and might be safer. (That's not to say the Gen1 adapter is unsafe in any absolute sense; but the Gen2 design seems to incorporate some more advanced safety features.) Furthermore, it looks like Tesla is abandoning the Gen1 device -- it's been out of stock for ages, and I seem to recall hearing that even recent Model S and Model X deliveries have been coming with the Gen2 EVSE. Personally, unless charging speed was of paramount importance, I'd go for a Gen2 Mobile Connector, along with whatever wall plug(s) I needed. If I had an LR Model 3 and charging speed was really important, I'd get a hard-wired Wall Connector, which can handle up to 48A, or a third-party J1772 EVSE that can do the same. (Not all J1772 EVSEs can provide 48A; in fact, that's a pretty rare feature. Most are 32A or less. Tesla's Wall Connector is probably the least-expensive 48A Level 2 EVSE.)