Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@IslandHydro You may have already seen this site, but it’s a list of all the changes to the Model S over the months. Like it was mentioned above, Tesla rolls out changes as they become available so you really have to look at the build month. For example, if you wanted the enhanced anti-theft add-on system, it’s only available for September 2015+ builds. Another example is I think at some point in 2015 is when they started rolling out LTE instead of 3G for the cellular connectivity (don’t quote me on that), although a lot of folks probably upgraded.

I picked up a CPO about a month ago and my criteria was a late 2015 85D. I was contemplating the P85D but ultimately decided the 85D had more than enough performance and a slightly increased range (I believe ~17 miles) at a much cheaper price. I’m sure you you’ve already seen the threads about the CPO process being pretty terrible, but I also wrote a fairly detailed on my experience here. Anyways, best of luck finding what you want! They are awesome cars and I can’t see myself going back to a gasoline/diesel vehicle (except for maybe a truck to tow).

I had seen that site, but thanks for reminding me. I think I might try to start tracking build date (as apposed to build year). It's not exposed on CPO-Hunter, but you can often get it from the pictures. I'm super excited about getting an S, a few months away yet, as were giving our son one of our cars for a graduation present, and the S will replace that car. Plenty of time for me to really zero in on what car is best for my preferences / budget.

It's not exposed on CPO-Hunter,

If it were available in the data feed, I'd most certainly expose that. It's the most-requested data element I don't have access to (in an automated way).

What is available is "InCustomerGarageDate" which is likely the "delivery date" which is pretty close to build date. It's not perfect, but it's better than just going by "model" year.

Last edited:
If it were available in the data feed, I'd most certainly expose that. It's the most-requested data element I don't have access to (in an automated way).

What is available is "InCustomerGarageDate" which is likely the "delivery date" which is pretty close to build date. It's not perfect, but it's better than just going by "model" year.

Sorry if that sounded like a criticism, it wasn't intended as such. I really appreciate what you've done with CPO-Hunter, it's a great piece of work!

Reactions: HankLloydRight
IslandHydro,
Nice work! I'm searching for an 85D as well and aiming to make the move in a couple months. I'm just learning all of the nuances of the cars and the used/cpo process.
Have you been able to establish an average depreciation rate over time, or prices where cars with the features you want get sold? I just started a rougher version of your spreadsheet and it would be nice to compare data.

IslandHydro,
Nice work! I'm searching for an 85D as well and aiming to make the move in a couple months. I'm just learning all of the nuances of the cars and the used/cpo process.
Have you been able to establish an average depreciation rate over time, or prices where cars with the features you want get sold? I just started a rougher version of your spreadsheet and it would be nice to compare data.

Thanks Pjschae, I'm really enjoying the process of learning about these cars. I've not acquired enough sold cars info to really provide meaningful statistical numbers; But I am getting a better handle on options vs prices, I'd be happy to share what I have so far if you'd like. Hope to have a bit clearer view by the time my purchase time frame comes around (this spring when we give one of our cars to our son when he graduates from college). Went into the big city (Bellevue WA) today and test drove both an 85D and a P85D, what great cars!

IslandHydro,

Actually I think CPO Hunter could provide some pretty good info on it's own. Just dial in your specific characteristics, then switch to 'Archived Listings' which I think means sold. Then you can view all the cars that have sold for your specific set of wants, and compare mileage to sales prices. The tighter you nail down your characteristics, the more similar the cars listed will be, and the more of a true representation mileage vs price will be.

Actually I think CPO Hunter could provide some pretty good info on it's own. Just dial in your specific characteristics, then switch to 'Archived Listings' which I think means sold. Then you can view all the cars that have sold for your specific set of wants, and compare mileage to sales prices. The tighter you nail down your characteristics, the more similar the cars listed will be, and the more of a true representation mileage vs price will be.
Thanks for that tip. I’ll add it to my research!

Here's a bit more info on the XXD vs PXXD: I went into Seattle (Bellevue actually) this last weekend and test drove both an 85D and P85D. Wow what great cars! While I was at it, I took both cars up to 50 (on the highway) and then ran a stopwatch (had a friend with me) to see how quick they got to 70. We already know that Tesla says the 85D does 0-60 in 4.4 and the P85D does it in 3.2 or 3.1 depending on the version. My approximate timing of 50 to 70 was 3.5 for the 85D and 3.0 for the P. Not a terribly accurate method I know, but it gives an order of magnitude comparison, FWIW.

Here's a related / follow-on question: Given the warning notice the Tesla flashes when you switch to Insane (or Ludicrous) mode, should I be looking at the P (or PL) versions as a potentially lesser cars from a longevity perspective? Will the average used P85D have been mashed to the point of hurting battery / motors / life expectancy? I know these haven't been around long enough to have any significant data, so conjecture is the best I can hope for... although comparing average battery degradation between similar 85Ds and P85Ds might shed some light (if the data were available).

Last edited:
Reactions: HankLloydRight