Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40A vs 32A -- Gen 1 vs Gen 2 Mobile Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2015 Model S 85D and just purchased a 2021 refresh Model S LR.

So.... now I have a Gen 1 Mobile Connector from the 2015 that charges at 40A. I was a little surprised to learn that the new Mobile Connector (Gen 3 apparently?) will only charge at up to 32A.

I will be selling the 2015 and figure I should give the buyer a charger so now I wonder which to keep and which to give away with the car.

My thoughts:
  • Better to have the newer charger (2 years old vs 8 years old)
  • But... 40A is better / faster than 32A
  • But... I pretty much charge overnight exclusively and either way car will be full by morning.
  • But... Every once in a rare while there that time where car is empty and want to get it charged up as quickly as possible. 40A would be nicer for this.
  • But... That's a rare scenario for me and not a big deal to go to a Supercharger
  • But... Supercharging is no longer free for me 😭

Thanks for listening to my thoughts playing ping pong. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I would do the following:
  • Give the old 40a mobile charger to the new owner of your 2015 MS
  • Install a HPWC at your home with 40a max charging speed (No additional wiring changes needed, if you wanted to charge at 48a you would probably need thicker wire and a 60a breaker instead of 50a)
  • Keep the new 32a charger in your frunk and only use it when traveling
I charged for 2-3 years with a 40a mobile charger as my main home everyday charger and the button to open and close the door wore out (not a big deal but still something to think about). I installed a HPWC and it is much more study and meant to be used everyday and it's nice to always have my mobile charger with me.

Last edited:
Btw the newer Mobile Connector is called a gen 2. Gen 3 is the latest Wall Connector.

Theres a reason Tesla went to 32A charging with the gen 2 mobile. These forums were filled with people having melted their 40A charging adapters. Apart from the amp difference, gen 1 doesn’t have heat sensors in the charging plug, while gen 2 does. In my mind that is a massive win.

These are all useful comments. Thanks!

After reading your comments, I think it makes sense for me to keep the newer Mobile Charger (Gen 2 I guess?) with the newer car and give up the older 40A mobile connector with the old car. My outlet is a 50A outlet, but when it was installed the wiring was put in to support a 60A circuit using heavier gauge copper, so it would be easy for me to install a HPWC.

when it was installed the wiring was put in to support a 60A circuit using heavier gauge copper

Based on many posts, don’t assume this to be true. All too often the “60A” wire is actually rated at 55A, specifically #6 Romex. Just file this fact away for later as something to confirm if sometime decided you want to run a wall connector at 48A.

Based on many posts, don’t assume this to be true. All too often the “60A” wire is actually rated at 55A, specifically #6 Romex. Just file this fact away for later as something to confirm if sometime decided you want to run a wall connector at 48A.
Good point. In my case, it #4 AWG copper wire running through conduit and I made sure that 3 conductors were run through the conduit.

The less prevalent scenario where that extra 8A (or 16A if comparing Gen 2 UMC to Gen 3 TWC) could matter would be a second EV needing to charge from the same connector such that the faster the first vehicle finishes, the better.

My 2019 didn't come with a UMC so I sold my 2015 without a UMC. You could offer to throw in the gen1 UMC if the buyer is on the fence. I would keep the gen2 for travel and perhaps buy a universal HPWC for home. Adapters are harder to find for the gen1 now. I don't think Tesla sells them anymore, and the gen1 lacks the thermistor in the plug which helps protect from fire.

Reactions: jhumbo and aerodyne
When you charge at home every night what is the average total kWh you add to the car? You are choosing a setup to do just that so it’s a good starting point.

When I was waiting for delivery in 2020 I wired for the full 48A/11+kW. In 3 years I have never needed that speed and my garage is 100’s of feet from my meter so I prefer to charge at a lower amperage overnight.