Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Questions: 1 - SC Throttling Disclosure, 2 - Shipping fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I pull the trigger on a CPO I have two questions regarding the shipping fee and possible charging throttling due abuse by previous owner.

1. If I pull the trigger and BUY a CPO that has a $2000 shipping fee to my local SC and after it arrives and I inspect it and decide I don't want to buy it because of it's condition will I be held responsible for that cost? When is that fee billed? At delivery or before?

2. If I buy a CPO Tesla is Tesla obligated to tell me the car I want to buy has been throttled due to charging abuse by the previous owner? If not do I have any recourse after delivery. Is that something the SC is supposed to check and document during the "70 point Inspection"?

Thanks in advance

You can ask the service center both of these questions and they will give you a definite answer to both. My guesses (but not definite) are ...

I'd assume the $2,000 is for shipping and has nothing to do with the car. Therefore it will be charged before/during shipping and is non-refundable after the car is shipped.

That's defiantly something you should ask about, not sure if it's covered under the 70 point inspection. If the car has low millage (<50,000) or coming from a place where people have garages then you can probably assume it's not.

I was advised to find car within market as the shipping is non refundable and paid via credit card in advance of delivery.

Was told that if condition is worse than photos showed that deposit can be transferred or refunded (not shipping).

They don’t provide degradation stats so I’d doubt they’d disclose supercharging throttling. I’d say assume the worst and hope for the best.

Reactions: davidc18
I wish it were that easy. I live in southern Illinois and the nearest Store with CPO's is 280 miles north in Chicago. This is the problem for folks not near a Store. Of course I'd ask the SA these questions, but I was hoping for some real world experiences before heading down this path of discovery.

Reactions: JPUConn