Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracks/Tears in White Leather Seat - Any Repair Reccs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2019 Model 3 with white interior recently developed a few tears in the side of the driver seat as shown in the photo below.

IMG20240129111315.jpg

I noticed there were cracks quite some time ago similar to the OP post in this thread before it got worse.

Anyone have recommendations / experience with repair services or DIY kits?

Results of my first try. I think it can out okay given lack of having the proper tools.

I got these off Amazon. White paint matches color.
01_Kit.jpg

Used a brush to apply into cracks and a plastic tab I had to spread it smooth. For first layer, I also pulled back on the material to widen the gap and push more filler in.
03_Brush.jpg
04_Spread.jpg

Applied a few layers - making sure to fill in the cracks in first base layer. At this stage, the filler will soften if any liquid is applied. So no fear of making mistake, it's easy to wipe off. Also useful to use a cotton swab with a drop of water to clean up the edges. Water softens it into a soft rubber and rubs off, not exactly melting it.
05_Layer1.jpg

06_Layer4.jpg

After letting it dry for a few days (just overnight before driving around), applied paint using brush for initial layer and unused kitchen sponge to dab it into a thin layer. I did about 4 layers and let it dry for day before use.
07_Painted.jpg

End result is not bad for DIY. Overall, I used what amounted to a teaspoon of filler and even less of paint. I could have gotten better results if I had fine grit sandpaper to smooth out the filler before painting. But I would also be concerned about abrading original material. The filler is probably thicker than it needs to be but I wanted it to be durable. Instructions also recommended to air brush the paint. At least a paint sponge would probably have been better than a kitchen sponge. I'll report back if it cracks again.

Reactions: B.K. and Stew-2