Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

crash avoidance outside of autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
as I'm driving along, while Autopilot is OFF:

will my car help me from crashing into things? (My cadillac will slam on the breaks if I get too close to a bush.) will the Tesla do that?

if I am not watching and a car in front of me puts on the brakes, will my tesla slam on my brakes for me?

Yes, it will indeed slam on the brakes for crash avoidance and whatnot - AP does not need to be on or running (I have EAP)... It was actually something I wasn't expecting when it happened a few days ago (made a tight lane change from #2 in to #1 by getting close to the vehicle in the #2 lane) - the X decided to slam on the brakes because it thought I was going to collide with the car in front of me.

Yes, it does. Some time ago I was driving downtown and was distracted for a second by a pedestrian walking on the sidewalk. The truck in front of me hit his brakes and immediately so did my Tesla. I was also notified with the visuals on the dash and the chime. If it hadn’t slammed the brakes I would have surely rear-ended the truck.

Great info - to take it further, what if you are driving down the highway or city street with AutoPilot on or off and someone driving next to you decides to swerve into your lane (they don't see you for some reason). I thought I saw videos online a year or two ago where your Tesla will detect this and move out of the way if it is safe to do so?

Great info - to take it further, what if you are driving down the highway or city street with AutoPilot on or off and someone driving next to you decides to swerve into your lane (they don't see you for some reason). I thought I saw videos online a year or two ago where your Tesla will detect this and move out of the way if it is safe to do so?

That's a hit or miss (pun intended)... I've seen videos of both situations, where the Tesla moved and where it didn't... The sensors aren't always accurate and I'm sure there's a confidence factor that must be achieved before actions are taken.

With some of the newer updates, some activities have become noticeably aggressive (e.g. moving over in the lane to hug the side when someone gets close), however, it doesn't always do that.

In the end, remember that the systems in the vehicle aren't a 100% substitution for attentive and active driving.

In the end, remember that the systems in the vehicle aren't a 100% substitution for attentive and active driving.
That is the key thing to remember in this discussion.

Yes, the Tesla AEB feature (Automatic Emergency Braking) is operational whether your using Autopilot or not, and even if you did not buy any version of Autopilot. AEB may activate in some situations but you cannot count on it. And Tesla does not say that AEB will prevent impacts, only that it may reduce the severity of the impact.

Maybe. Sometimes. Don’t assume it will do that.