Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Done giving Tesla the benefit of the doubt on Autopilot and adaptive cruise control- it's JUNK.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here to vent. The adaptive cruise control on my 21MYLR has NEVER worked properly since buying new in Oct 21. From day one it slams on the brakes when passing a semi truck on the interstate. Happened again this morning with my family in the car- Had my own lane to pass the semi, but the car slams on the brakes for NO REASON. Reported it to Tesla service and of course the said a fix is coming- Well, fact is I bought a $57k car TWO YEARS AGO and have never had a properly functioning CRUISE CONTROL. This is so absurd, and I'm tired of giving Tesla the benefit of the doubt on this issue. Give my car a properly functioning cruise control or give me $$$ back on my purchase to account for TWO YEARS of putting up with this dangerous driving behavior.

Same vintage car, 9/21 LR Y, same experience. To be fair, there has been 6 months at a time in the PNW when it worked really well. The last 3 updates though have been horrible. Even slightly tighter high speed curves on the freeway lane keeping will drift over the line.

It's back to phantom braking over taking trucks and some other weird times. Still doing ok with mirages, amazingly.

But I'm over it too. Did a 6 hour drive each way a couple weeks ago, no TACC or lanekeeping the whole way, just drove it old school. It was actually really relaxing, and on balance less mental effort than trying to babysit the AP features.

I'm done with all things AP. Actually probably done with Tesla. Once there's an alternative that can use the Supercharging network and charge as fast as Tesla, I'm out. This dumpster fire of a company will never get it right with the current leadership.

Oh, plus all the interior pillar covers keep falling off and never go back on right. Not giving me warm fuzzy feelings, to say the least.

@OxBrew, I definitely share your sentiments aboutTACC. After 38.6 update it seems more quirky. More slow-downs for no apparent reason. My bigger problem is with the guy at the helm.I test drove an i4 last year and was pretty impressed, but DC charging is too big an obstacle for me. Other manufacturers will catch up, given enough time, and I can envision many Tesla owners making the switch if Tesla continues to not give a damn about its customers and starts fixing some of their glaring software problems. I’ve been a fan of the cars, and they have improved in the 5 years I’ve owned them, but improvements seem to take so long.

Reactions: jsvietor
This is common, and they are working hard to get this phantom braking under control.

It is getting better and they say they are putting solutions into some of the OTA updates, but people get spooked by it.

They believe the latest AI being populated into the cruise control will eliminate it.

Automated emergency braking is something the Feds recently mandated. Taking some time for the manufacturers to get a handle on it.

I get phantom braking when a "water mirage" occurs on a highway/interstate at high speed. Slams on the brakes at 85 mph if the mirage is too close.
Dash image displays the mirage as a large truck in my lane, hence the braking. Happens both in FSD and ACC. This is not a new phenomenon.
I suspect there is not an easy fix to this.
On rural roads the car tries to change lanes into turning lanes when correct path is straight, this requires a dramatic manual intervention. Car also treats flashing yellow caution lights as full traffic signals - it slows quickly and seems to anticipate a change to red. Poorly striped roads yield poor FSD performance, and rural roads in my area rarely have proper striping. Some FSD stuff is off-the-chart great, but other situations, not so much. Better with every release, but still nowhere near ready for prime time.
YMMV

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO and jsvietor
Same vintage car, 9/21 LR Y, same experience. To be fair, there has been 6 months at a time in the PNW when it worked really well. The last 3 updates though have been horrible. Even slightly tighter high speed curves on the freeway lane keeping will drift over the line.

It's back to phantom braking over taking trucks and some other weird times. Still doing ok with mirages, amazingly.

But I'm over it too. Did a 6 hour drive each way a couple weeks ago, no TACC or lanekeeping the whole way, just drove it old school. It was actually really relaxing, and on balance less mental effort than trying to babysit the AP features.

I'm done with all things AP. Actually probably done with Tesla. Once there's an alternative that can use the Supercharging network and charge as fast as Tesla, I'm out. This dumpster fire of a company will never get it right with the current leadership.

Oh, plus all the interior pillar covers keep falling off and never go back on right. Not giving me warm fuzzy feelings, to say the least.
I'm with you- done with Tesla. Too many promises unkept. And now the "leader" of company doesn't even focus on cars- what made him in the first place.

Auto driving is not an easy problem to solve, for sure. But I very much appreciate the methods and results of OpenPilot (here's the hardware, run our software or someone else's improvement on it, whatever) far more than Tesla (pay now for this story proprietary black box thing that will be awesome someday, right after it stops getting worse!)

Or at least give us a dumb cruise control option on Tesla. That's not too much to ask.

This is common, and they are working hard to get this phantom braking under control.

It is getting better and they say they are putting solutions into some of the OTA updates, but people get spooked by it.

They believe the latest AI being populated into the cruise control will eliminate it.
It sounds like you have a direct line to them. Do you have written corroboration for these statements or are you just postulating?

Reactions: cwerdna

Automated emergency braking is something the Feds recently mandated. Taking some time for the manufacturers to get a handle on it.
Great cryptosnark.

Reactions: KArnold