Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Customization of every little detail of exterior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I may finally be getting a Tesla next year after a very long wait. I have questions about customizations because on the website when you order a new Tesla there are only options for very basic stuff like choosing a paint color, interior color and wheel size.

I see many cars on the street that have customized every little detail such as the silver/black trim around the windows, logo color, the bar below the logo on the model X, color of door nobs, etc. How can I customize these things when I order it and also where do I see what options are available for all these small things to customize? I'm assuming these customizations are done by Tesla itself and not by owners after market? Is there a chance to customize this stuff before they build it since when you place the order on the site there is no option for any of this stuff?

For example, these are some of the things I would probably want to do to my car:

1) Black Tesla (T) emblem logo
2) No logo for the words "Tesla" on the back, I don't like that
3) No "Model X" logo on the back
4) The bar below the logo, some are stainless steel and some are black
5) Black door knob handles & the border of the windows, some are stainless steel and some are black rubber. I kind of like the older stainless steel border around the window it feels more luxurious than the black cheap rubber border... What do you guys feel about this? Also the door knob I kind of feel the stainless steel looks better too, seems like all the new models are now black so maybe this is not an option to get stainless steel?
6) I also don't like the rubber piece under the trunk, I feel like it looks very cheap and for such an expensive car I'd want actual aluminium (same as the trunk and rest of car material) rather than a rubber piece. Is this even an option as I don't think I have ever seen that before on a Tesla?
7) No license plate on the front of the car, how do you tell Tesla you don't want this, or do they not put it on the front by default?
8) Colored brake pads, I want colored ones instead of the standard one. I see most cars that have colored brake pads are red which I like red but I have also seen a few yellow. How do you specify this and besides red and yellow, what other color options are there?

I have not been inside any of these cars I see on the street so I'm not sure what kind of customizations are available for the interior of the car but if there are any, I'd like to hear what they are so I can start thinking about them too =)

Thanks everyone for your help, I would really appreciate any information and guidance on these exterior customizations.

I would join a Tesla owners club. Such as orange county tesla owners club or Tesla Vibez. They will let you know of upcoming event, which have vendors at them. Search this site for PPF wraps in So Cali. and window tinting. Brake calipers have to be painted, again use the search this site.

All Model X now come with chrome delete. Unless it's a plaid, there is no "Model X" on the back. I don't think it even says "dual motor" anymore. AND install home charging. I love it, plug in at home and ready to go the next morning. I schedule mine to start at 2am. Less demand on the grid.

Good luck and enjoy an awesome car. Welcome to TMC.

I don't think Tesla offers much in the way of customization.For example, there is no option to delete the Model X logo that I'm aware of, you would have to remove it yourself or have someone do it .The window trim is now black, it used to be chrome, but there is currently no option for chrome trim.Same thing with the door handles .I believe Tesla just provides a license plate mount, at least they did in CT since my state requires a front plate. But they did not mount mine, nor did I ask them to. You'd have to ask them what their current policy is. Brake pads...I think you're referring to the calipers, red is available on the Performance models, no option to have them on other builds. If you saw yellow ones, the owner had that done by a shop after purchase. No interior customizations either. Bottom line, customizations are something Tesla does not offer, they're done by the owner or a shop after purchase

Hi All,

I may finally be getting a Tesla next year after a very long wait. I have questions about customizations because on the website when you order a new Tesla there are only options for very basic stuff like choosing a paint color, interior color and wheel size.

I see many cars on the street that have customized every little detail such as the silver/black trim around the windows, logo color, the bar below the logo on the model X, color of door nobs, etc. How can I customize these things when I order it and also where do I see what options are available for all these small things to customize? I'm assuming these customizations are done by Tesla itself and not by owners after market? Is there a chance to customize this stuff before they build it since when you place the order on the site there is no option for any of this stuff?

For example, these are some of the things I would probably want to do to my car:

1) Black Tesla (T) emblem logo
2) No logo for the words "Tesla" on the back, I don't like that
3) No "Model X" logo on the back
4) The bar below the logo, some are stainless steel and some are black
5) Black door knob handles & the border of the windows, some are stainless steel and some are black rubber. I kind of like the older stainless steel border around the window it feels more luxurious than the black cheap rubber border... What do you guys feel about this? Also the door knob I kind of feel the stainless steel looks better too, seems like all the new models are now black so maybe this is not an option to get stainless steel?
6) I also don't like the rubber piece under the trunk, I feel like it looks very cheap and for such an expensive car I'd want actual aluminium (same as the trunk and rest of car material) rather than a rubber piece. Is this even an option as I don't think I have ever seen that before on a Tesla?
7) No license plate on the front of the car, how do you tell Tesla you don't want this, or do they not put it on the front by default?
8) Colored brake pads, I want colored ones instead of the standard one. I see most cars that have colored brake pads are red which I like red but I have also seen a few yellow. How do you specify this and besides red and yellow, what other color options are there?

I have not been inside any of these cars I see on the street so I'm not sure what kind of customizations are available for the interior of the car but if there are any, I'd like to hear what they are so I can start thinking about them too =)

Thanks everyone for your help, I would really appreciate any information and guidance on these exterior customizations.
Something tells me youre not a car guy.

Reactions: Plood
I would join a Tesla owners club. Such as orange county tesla owners club or Tesla Vibez. They will let you know of upcoming event, which have vendors at them. Search this site for PPF wraps in So Cali. and window tinting. Brake calipers have to be painted, again use the search this site.

All Model X now come with chrome delete. Unless it's a plaid, there is no "Model X" on the back. I don't think it even says "dual motor" anymore. AND install home charging. I love it, plug in at home and ready to go the next morning. I schedule mine to start at 2am. Less demand on the grid.

Good luck and enjoy an awesome car. Welcome to TMC.
Thanks so much for the information, I will check out those clubs. Yeah if I end up buying a Tesla I want to have the home charging too. So do you have the one from Tesla or some other after market home charging system?

I don't think Tesla offers much in the way of customization.For example, there is no option to delete the Model X logo that I'm aware of, you would have to remove it yourself or have someone do it .The window trim is now black, it used to be chrome, but there is currently no option for chrome trim.Same thing with the door handles .I believe Tesla just provides a license plate mount, at least they did in CT since my state requires a front plate. But they did not mount mine, nor did I ask them to. You'd have to ask them what their current policy is. Brake pads...I think you're referring to the calipers, red is available on the Performance models, no option to have them on other builds. If you saw yellow ones, the owner had that done by a shop after purchase. No interior customizations either. Bottom line, customizations are something Tesla does not offer, they're done by the owner or a shop after purchase
Ok got it so some stuff comes with the car if you get a performance version like the brake calipers, etc. The rest of the stuff I see on the street is all after market. Thanks!

Thanks so much for the information, I will check out those clubs. Yeah if I end up buying a Tesla I want to have the home charging too. So do you have the one from Tesla or some other after market home charging system?
tester500: I have a gen 2 Tesla wall charger. On a 100 amp breaker, it's set to 80 amp, but the car will only charge at 48amps max. That gets me +/- 44 mph of charge. I have a second 2nd gen wall charger to be installed outside the garage for my refresh Model X on order. When they are tied together, they will monitor which is charging at what rate. The Gen 3 chargers are suppose to do that through wifi. Other brands of wall chargers will work, as will the charger that comes with the car, so you don't need to spring for the install immediately. Look for threads about charging at home and 50 amp outlets.

Good luck and enjoy. I love driving our S Raven and can't wait for my refresh Model X.

tester500: I have a gen 2 Tesla wall charger. On a 100 amp breaker, it's set to 80 amp, but the car will only charge at 48amps max. That gets me +/- 44 mph of charge. I have a second 2nd gen wall charger to be installed outside the garage for my refresh Model X on order. When they are tied together, they will monitor which is charging at what rate. The Gen 3 chargers are suppose to do that through wifi. Other brands of wall chargers will work, as will the charger that comes with the car, so you don't need to spring for the install immediately. Look for threads about charging at home and 50 amp outlets.

Good luck and enjoy. I love driving our S Raven and can't wait for my refresh Model X.
Thank you and I'm sure your refresh X will be well worth the wait =). I have not even thought about the charging part yet to be honest. I will need to research that too. Just so I have an idea, if I just plug in to a normal wall outlet, is that going to take a full day to fully charge? How long does it take to get a full charge with the Gen 2/3 chargers you speak of?

Tesla is constantly tweaking little things on their production cars. They end up only selling them one way and complete. If you want to do little customize touches they are done by the owner after purchase. It is relatively easy to remove emblems with a little dental floss and a hair dryer. The internet is full of 3rd party emblems with different finishes and colors. Brake rotors can be either purchased, painted, with core exchanges to give a custom look. You can also DIY them with high temperature paint and some decals.
Trims used to come in Chrome, but since it was discovered that this chrome process is not environmentally friendly, Tesla has convereted over to a trendy "Chrome Delete" dark color.
Lots of 3rd party floor mats and interior trim pieces are available including pedal covers.
Only solution to your question is to order your Tesla and accept it as it comes from the factory at that time. If you wish to customize small pieces that is done after delivery and by the many aftermarket suppliers.

Reactions: tester500
Front plate frames are not mounted at delivery in most states from what I understand. May be state dependent (NY in my case)

Mostly anything custom interior-wise ages like milk in my experience. These things are sleek and classy already. Please reconsider this “pimp my ride” behavior. Chipped paint, dated looking embellishes and baubles, cheap Chinese lighting from alibaba. Gross.