Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service scratched my black rear quarter window trim adjusting fwd.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brought car for service to fix what I thought were trivial trim alignment issues on brand new MXP. Instead they mostly made things worse and on top scratched my rear quarter trim. Now my driver side fwd B pillar glass is sticking out (not flush) with front driver side window.

You can also see the trim damage (whitish scratch) from the fwd rear glass rubbing on rear quarter window in what I presume was an attempt to align it. You can see the mark on the side of the glass too where it rubbed but fortunately it did not shatter.

Would you ask service to replace trim and redo fwd or should I just take up a body shop? I’m also open to touching up trim myself if this shiny black trim can be easily glazed as the spot is not very exposed. The less service interference the better. Otoh it’s a new car - why waste my own time on this.

Shame on Tesla for still needling customers to do this 7 years after this door design was introduced.

Attachments

• IMG_1125.jpeg
    IMG_1125.jpeg
    256.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1123.jpeg
    IMG_1123.jpeg
    333.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1122.jpeg
    IMG_1122.jpeg
    283.3 KB · Views: 41
I should probably rename my thread - more concerned about the FWD and them doing more damage by having them work on it again than the trim scratch, the trim scratch frustration has mostly worn off, but it was a wtf moment.

I simply had an issue with top driver side trim sticking outward on front door relative to FWD top trim and last minute added also some slight misalignment picture on the passenger side. They then proceeded to mess up the passenger side by leaving the B-pillar glass stick out, and writing they adjusted the door, and completely ignored my primary complaint of the driver side trim by saying it's within spec. It seems to me driver door top trim is just not properly installed but what do I know.

I made an appointment with a body shop on Mon, but the service center is 4 miles from my house so I will go there again tomorrow. Allegedly SA has been out all week so no responses. I initially refused picking up the car but they made me to by telling me they will reach out to me next day (which they did not).

My concern is that this driver side FWD now seems aligned very well everywhere but the forward y-axis (rare to see such perfect door handle alignment) but I don't see how they can fix this forward y-axis shift without messing something else. I am worried the leading edge of the b-pillar glass and upper FWD door edge will now collect road debris and chips. They stick out by as much as the trim in the 2nd photo (the lower trim between B-pillar and front door).

Pic of my original (driver side) request they just refused to fix and maybe thankfully as I’m sure they would have messed up other things based on the other door “fix”

Attachments

• IMG_0889.jpeg
    IMG_0889.jpeg
    307.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Here’s the status of my fwd door - check green areas are aligned ok, red crosses are areas where the rear door sticks out by as much as the thickness of the bpillar glass. I wonder if this even fixable. They just wanted to align it so it looks great on the side but I never really complained about that even though door handle alignment was a bit off for example.

Is this even fixable?

Attachments

• IMG_1130.jpeg
    IMG_1130.jpeg
    552.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1122.jpeg
    IMG_1122.jpeg
    289.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1123.jpeg
    IMG_1123.jpeg
    310.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Here’s the status of my fwd door - check green areas are aligned ok, red crosses are areas where the rear door sticks out by as much as the thickness of the bpillar glass. I wonder if this even fixable. They just wanted to align it so it looks great on the side but I never really complained about that even though door handle alignment was a bit off for example.

Is this even fixable?

If you are talking about profile view, it does not matter, not worth a try.

I think the glass and upper rear door sticking outwards over the front door is not ideal. I'd rather have trim misaligned on z-axis than this. The glass and upper door edge sticking out probably causes wind noise (though I can't do A/B test now) and will be prone to collecting chipping on edges.

I am going to ask them to fix this y-alignment and replace the trim. The heck with Tesla and their lack of quality control (though the actual FWD design is to blame equally). Perhaps their in-ane "fix" is designed to lower your future expectation and dissuade from ever asking them to fix anything again. Never had such issued with 2 previous Teslas and the one trim fix they did was flawless. But it was not X FWD.