Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CybrTrk, greater than 250kw Supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since V3 stalls are unpaired, and CybTrk will have a battery roughly double that of a Model 3, do anybody think CybrTrk will be able to connect to two Superchargers simultaneously and potentially take 500kw?

Other thoughts:
-Musk's comment about 350kw being a child's plaything.
-The ability of Semi to hookup to multiple Superchargers (I know it is just for testing but it works).

I picture the truck having a charge port next to each taillight.

For the user who tows a few times per year and mostly uses the vehicle for commuting, very fast charging would be a cheaper way to gain capability than a massive battery.

A good possibility. Likely requires a 150-200 kWh battery for 500 kW charge (2X the charge rate of the Model 3's 75 kWh battery).

I imagine a combined port that accepts a regular supercharger connection and the mega-charger connection. Such a connection would only be for vehicles with 150-200+ kWh battery such as the roaster and semi.

Since V3 stalls are unpaired, and CybTrk will have a battery roughly double that of a Model 3, do anybody think CybrTrk will be able to connect to two Superchargers simultaneously and potentially take 500kw?

Other thoughts:
-Musk's comment about 350kw being a child's plaything.
-The ability of Semi to hookup to multiple Superchargers (I know it is just for testing but it works).

I picture the truck having a charge port next to each taillight.

For the user who tows a few times per year and mostly uses the vehicle for commuting, very fast charging would be a cheaper way to gain capability than a massive battery.

The children's toys was a defensive response related to Supercharger v3's higher total power, I think.

Anyway, they could go higher with a much larger battery, but hopefully they're going higher voltage rather than higher current.

My bet is still on that the Tesla Truck will be able to use the (Future) Semi Mega Charger system, so that means we should see a port on the side of the truck like the Semi. Tesla has to figure out how to charge the truck while towing, and the mega charger looks to be capable of at least two V3 ports, and probably more?
upload_2019-11-21_15-28-42.png

upload_2019-11-21_15-28-48.png

My bet is still on that the Tesla Truck will be able to use the (Future) Semi Mega Charger system, so that means we should see a port on the side of the truck like the Semi. Tesla has to figure out how to charge the truck while towing, and the mega charger looks to be capable of at least two V3 ports, and probably more?
View attachment 479680

View attachment 479681
Well, bummer... Doesn't look like the mega charger port is gonna fit in that port door anytime soon :(

Man, mega charger would kill all electric truck competition, I think Elon would have hinted at this, but two years is a lot of time for Tesla work on that. I suspect it will be dependent on the cost, and if can really increase charging by 70% or more.

I am curious though, if you are at say, 30% charge, how long would it take to charge up 250 more miles (back to 400 miles) using a 250K charger?

If you assume the truck uses 500 wh/mile and is charging at 250kw, the truck would be gaining 500 miles for every hour of charge time, so 150 miles would take about 18 minutes.

I don’t know where the battery tech will be, but I think it is not likely the truck can take 250kw to a high state of charge.

However, from empty to 150 I bet it will take 250kw. I believe some versions were listed as “250kw+” during the unveil.

Anyway, 250kw is about 8 miles per minute, assuming 500wh/mile efficiency. The S is rated at about 300, in think the X is 350? Just for some comparison. 500wh/mile is about 65mpgE.

Last edited:
If you assume the truck uses 500 wh/mile and is charging at 250kw, the truck would be gaining 500 miles for every hour of charge time, so 150 miles would take about 18 minutes.

I don’t know where the battery tech will be, but I think it is not likely the truck can take 250kw to a high state of charge.

However, from empty to 150 I bet it will take 250kw. I believe some version were listed as “250kw+” during the unveil.

Anyway, 250kw is about 8 miles per minute, assuming 500wh/mike efficiency. The S is rated at about 300, in think the X is 350? Just for some comparison. 500wh/mile is about 65mpgE.
Thanks!

Hi...just realized you asked how long it would take to get 250 miles of range, not 150. Just assuming the 8 miles of range gained per minute of charge at 250kw gives 31 minutes to gain 250 miles.

I'm really curious to see how the charging goes for the truck. The Model 3 takes 250kw to only about 20% state of charge, but the truck will have a lager battery and possibly better tech, so I think a very conservative guess is 250kw to 40%. The Audi E-tron takes full max charging rate to around 80%, I believe.

Then there is the Megacharger question, and I am thinking CT might have a charge port on both sides and be able to take from two Superchargers at the same time. That would be really cool because now all the 120kw V2 stations just became 240kw. WIth V3(x2) you're looking at 500kw.

If you watch TFL Car's video where they attempt to tow cross country with an X, you start to see the utility in all the rural V2's all of a sudden becoming, effectively, 240kw. I know there are some issues in terms of etiquette, stall paring, and more with a vehicle taking two chargers, but I think there are software solutions that could address most of this, such as if the station becomes full the 2nd SC in the CT shuts off and yields to another driver.