Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daily manual reserve % adjustment possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Waiting patiently for my PW's to come in and had a quick question. Would it be possible to do the following?

1. Set reserve % high initially (90-100% or so) to charge up PW
2. Manually lower reserve % during peak hours so that PW supplies all home needs while all solar production goes to grid during this time
3. Manually raise reserve % for the next day to charge PW via solar before peak hours
4. Repeat 2-3 daily

The goal being a brute force method of achieving zero grid usage with max solar export during peak hours. Is this possible? Thanks!

Below is my typical daily usage when not EV charging. I would like to use the PW's to help me avoid any grid usage from 2pm-8pm (or even 10pm if possible) and use solar to help generate NEM credit during that time instead. Feasible?

download.png

Below is my typical daily usage when not EV charging. I would like to use the PW's to help me avoid any grid usage from 2pm-8pm (or even 10pm if possible) and use solar to help generate NEM credit during that time instead. Feasible?

View attachment 373179

could you just make whatever time you don't want to use the grid as all Peak? Wouldn't that also achieve what you're doing, so all you have is non-peak and peak, where peak equals shoulder+partial peak+peak?

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Hi all,

Waiting patiently for my PW's to come in and had a quick question. Would it be possible to do the following?

1. Set reserve % high initially (90-100% or so) to charge up PW
2. Manually lower reserve % during peak hours so that PW supplies all home needs while all solar production goes to grid during this time
3. Manually raise reserve % for the next day to charge PW via solar before peak hours
4. Repeat 2-3 daily

The goal being a brute force method of achieving zero grid usage with max solar export during peak hours. Is this possible? Thanks!

Yes you could - or just use Time-Based Control

Powerwall Time-Based Control | Tesla Support

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Actually you can't quite do what you want with just self-consumption mode because self-consumption just discharges to achieve net-0. It doesn't offset house load when there is enough solar to meet the house needs. Time-based control is the way to go to achieve what you want. You just set 2pm-8pm as peak and the Powerwall will automatically discharge during that time period to allow you to export all solar. See the link above or this link for more details: Powerwall Modes with Solar | Tesla Support