Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daimler Battery Tech Breakthrough??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Administrator
I thought this was worth posting here:

“We’ve also achieved a major breakthrough in battery technology,” said Zetsche, who noted until recently lithium-ion batteries used in laptops , phones and digital cameras couldn’t handle automotive applications. “But Daimler has solved the problem. Thanks to the integration of the vehicle’s cooling system, the batteries can now operate continually at optimal system temperatures. This maximizes their power output; extends their service life, and make it possible to use this high-performance technology in automotive applications. We’ve protected this innovation with 25 patents,” he said.
Daimler touting breakthrough in battery technology, increases R&D spending - AutoblogGreen
TCC Blog » Blog Archive » Daimler Spending $21 Billion on R&D

How is this a "breakthrough" and how is this different from what Tesla's doing with their ESS? Daimler is acting like this is a new idea.

Ok, I know I read too much fiction, but could this be a prelude to Daimler suing Tesla? (we had the idea first and patented it before you used it)

Regardless of the final outcome, if Daimler can drum up enough merit for an actual suite, they could bury Tesla in litigation, inhibit production of the Roadster, and run off investment capital.

Yeah, I know it is a conspiracy theory but what do ya'll think? Is Daimler "killing the electric car" again?

Tesla has said that many (most?) of their own patents are on their battery pack. I assume that means the cooling system, as well as the packing and management for all those cells, etc. If one company is infringing on the other's patents, then they should pay royalties. It's hard for Daimler to patent something that Tesla can prove they've already been using. The systems may be different enough. As far as I know Tesla's battery pack temperature management is completely separate from the cabin HVAC system.
It's hard to know what Daimler means by "the integration of the vehicle’s cooling system." Almost sounds like they have the coolant from the ICE running through the battery pack, or (more likely) that it works with the cabin HVAC system. Who knows. Don't even know if their talking about a pure EV or a hybrid.
It doesn't off the bat seem to me that there needs to be a lawsuit. Just seems dumb to be bragging about a "breakthrough" when the current highest profile EV company has been using a similar sounding system for the past couple years. Daimler needs to be more specific about what their breakthrough is.