Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damage Under Front License Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just traded SR3+ in for a long range white Model S. I just sent it to detail shop for window tint and front half PPF. I asked them to take the front license plate off. They just sent me a picture of a pretty big scratch that they say was already there. Tesla says it looks like the shop did it. Both Tesla and the shop are pointing fingers at each other. I'm eating it. shop is going to touch it up best they can and wrap it. Has anyone experienced damage under the front plate?

Putting the plate back on is an option but given how low it is on the bumper I asked them to touch it up best they can and they will let me review the touch-up before they continue. I would prefer to not have the front plate. Attached is pic they had sent letting me know.
The shop said they have done lots of these and they only use fishing line to work off the double-sided tape, which as I understand is the correct way. Tesla said it looks like they pried it off and did the damage. What do I do... Hopefully the touch-up hides it and all is well.

Attachments

• damage.jpg
    damage.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Have you actually seen the car in person or just looking at the photo? Reason I ask is it's not clear to me what's supposedly the scratch versus what shows up as black areas actually looks like part of the adhesive tape still left on the bumper which they have not removed yet. I've tried zooming in on the photo as much as I can and from surface texture, the black looks to my eyes like adhesive tape, not an area where paint has peeled off.

Using fishing line will not cleanly remove all the adhesive from the bumper, but will actually just tend to split the adhesive, some on the plate, some of the bumper. They then need to gentle remove the remaining tape from the bumper. When I did this myself on my mid-2016 Model S, that was a combination of rolling/balling it with my thumb and using product like Goo Off to get the remaining off the bumper.