Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash cam never turns off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve noticed that the dash cam portion of TeslaCam never turns off. As in, I can go to my car in the morning in the garage and pull the flash drive out and it will have a whole bunch of clips of just a black screen in the “RecentClips” directory because it’s been recording all night in the garage. This happens whether or not the car is plugged in to charge or not. What’s up with that?

I’ve noticed that the dash cam portion of TeslaCam never turns off. As in, I can go to my car in the morning in the garage and pull the flash drive out and it will have a whole bunch of clips of just a black screen in the “RecentClips” directory because it’s been recording all night in the garage. This happens whether or not the car is plugged in to charge or not. What’s up with that?

I’ve noticed similar recordings when I wan’t driving the car, but not all night.

Also remember the videos are uploaded to Tesla so if you park inside a garage and let’s say your washer & dryer is in the garage. When someone runs out in the AM to get something beware they are being recorded and possibly shared with someone you don’t know. Dress accordingly when around your car.