Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash cam not working 2023.44.30.5.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Turns out this was due to a low 12V battery. Tesla service came to replace it this morning and viola the USB drive was recognized. Who’d a thunk the 12V battery would have anything to do with the ability of the touchscreen to mount USB drives?

My dashcam is also playing up. I have a Dec 2020 M3LR. I have recently purchased a new 1TB Tesla USB/SSD. I previously had a 128GB Kingston Thumb drive, which just plugged in, I was able to format, and both sentry and dashcam were being recorded for the months of October and November. The dashcam seemed to only keep for 24 hours, and then would be overwritten the next day. Recently the dashcam stopped recording all together , so I got the Tesla 1TB drive from the store. I had to jump through the following hoops to get it to format:
1) Soft reset using the thumb wheels.
2) select Format USB in the Safety menu five times in a row before the dashcam icon had a solid red dot.

I only picked up the car in September, so it is possible the car had this issue already. Is there a USB recall related to this?

My dashcam is also playing up. I have a Dec 2020 M3LR. I have recently purchased a new 1TB Tesla USB/SSD. I previously had a 128GB Kingston Thumb drive, which just plugged in, I was able to format, and both sentry and dashcam were being recorded for the months of October and November. The dashcam seemed to only keep for 24 hours, and then would be overwritten the next day. Recently the dashcam stopped recording all together , so I got the Tesla 1TB drive from the store. I had to jump through the following hoops to get it to format:
1) Soft reset using the thumb wheels.
2) select Format USB in the Safety menu five times in a row before the dashcam icon had a solid red dot.

I only picked up the car in September, so it is possible the car had this issue already. Is there a USB recall related to this?
If you're using Tesla's SSD, then they have no excuse for the price. I'd submit a service ticket. They can't blame it on being some other SSD brand.

I've mostly got my head around what the dashcam can and cannot do. There are some issues with formatting a USB or SSD, but it gets there in the end. Lately I have been swapping out a Samsung 128GB SSD, (that looks just like the Tesla one) and a Tesla 1 TB SSD. Each one has a different LockChime in the root directory, and I only swap in the evenings, in Park. So far it correctly changes the locking noise (sheep or horse), even if the infotainment screen does not indicate the USB is correctly installed. I have also compared footage quality with a mid range Nextbase dash cam. The Tesla one is quite poor. Images attached. This cannot be the images the FSD computer gets surely? I would be able to drive based on that, and doubt a FSD computer would be able to either.

Attachments

• Nextbase.jpg
    Nextbase.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Tesla.jpg
    Tesla.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 12