Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam saves everythig EXCEPT the video I need!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
I had a minor incident in an empty parking lot yesterday (it was all my dumb fault), and I pulled over and reviewed the video on the viewer. Saw what I needed on both the front and right side cams. I hit the save footage button to save the video.

Now maybe it's just me, but you'd think that when you hit the save video button, it would save it, right? As it turns out I have tons of useless video from before and after the thing that happened, but NOTHING of the video I need!

Looked through all 3 folders, nothing. I had the drive connected to my laptop to review the video and save it off to the laptop.

What the hell, Tesla? Is this video saved on Tesla servers somewhere? How do I get it?

I'm using a Sabrent drive enclosure and a Samsung Evo 860 256 GB SSD.

Reactions: Mr X
I am having the same issue with mine its seams to record stuff I don't need. Its very slow when you use the horn option I believe it will miss the action your trying to get not to sure how to use it yet. Plus it not much faster pressing the screen to get it to work. I was expecting a lot more out of it. I have one in my big truck it records all the time its a bit of a pain in the butt to get the video from but it dose work and I will get the action I am looking for. Maybe I am missing something or I need to look it to it more ???

I am using a Seagate 500 GB SSD

I am having the same issue with mine its seams to record stuff I don't need. Its very slow when you use the horn option I believe it will miss the action your trying to get not to sure how to use it yet. Plus it not much faster pressing the screen to get it to work. I was expecting a lot more out of it. I have one in my big truck it records all the time its a bit of a pain in the butt to get the video from but it dose work and I will get the action I am looking for. Maybe I am missing something or I need to look it to it more ???

I am using a Seagate 500 GB SSD

The horn is delayed because the second you click the save button (live) it doesn't save that exact moment. It saves 10 minutes before. So when you hit the horn, the action is happening, so it waits to make sure it captures the full event and a bit after.

If I see something I want to capture to video I wait more an a minute before pressing save. Don't know if things have changed but early on I know since Dashcam records in buffer in 1 minute increments, if you "stop" it mid-segment you will lose that minute of video. It will save off a 10-minute video including footage prior. As I said this was from discussions a while back on the forum and from my experience when Sentry/Dashcam first came out.

I've used Honk a few times but haven't checked the footage to see the end of what it captured (being the most recently recorded moments).

If you viewed the video on the viewer it was there, already saved. I'm not sure what you thought you were doing after that hitting a save button again. Also if the viewer is active the save button is disabled so...