Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam button timing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an white van man overtake me and another car on a narrow 20mph road, with speed humps, single footpath, near a school, into oncoming van. Idiot. So I pressed the dashcam button to save the clip, but then found the saved footage ended at the point I pressed the button. It has saved 10 minutes before the incident but nothing after.

Out of interest, I looked up how to submit dashcam clips to the cops, and they need at least 2 minute before and after the incident so if I had decided to submit it, it would be no good.

Hopefully a future update will save a few minute of video before and after the the button press.

Reactions: Skavatar
I had an white van man overtake me and another car on a narrow 20mph road, with speed humps, single footpath, near a school, into oncoming van. Idiot. So I pressed the dashcam button to save the clip, but then found the saved footage ended at the point I pressed the button. It has saved 10 minutes before the incident but nothing after.

Out of interest, I looked up how to submit dashcam clips to the cops, and they need at least 2 minute before and after the incident so if I had decided to submit it, it would be no good.

Hopefully a future update will save a few minute of video before and after the the button press.

Ive sent a very similar video in that did not meet such criteria and they got serverved with a NIP. It depends on the circumstances. Ours did look a bit more serious than that.

It’s been like this for at least 4 years even though there have been several updates to that functionality, eg honk to record - sounds like you should refrain from honking until 2 minutes after the event!

Dashcam was typical half baked Tesla afterthought. Better than nothing but certainly no dashcam.

Reactions: Skavatar
It’s been like this for at least 4 years even though there have been several updates to that functionality, eg honk to record - sounds like you should refrain from honking until 2 minutes after the event!

Dashcam was typical half baked Tesla afterthought. Better than nothing but certainly no dashcam.
And wouldn't you also be able to wait up to about 10 minutes and get the footage after the incident?

BUT, the biggest thing is. Don't wait until you need something to try it.

Anyone know what happens if you were to press the button again 2 minutes after you honk the horn (or pressed the button immediately after the event)?
Do you then get 8 mins prior to incident; the incident; then the 2 minutes after?
I‘d check myself, but it’s coooold out there;)

I have learned to wait a minute before hitting the button. I tested it out.

Anyone know what happens if you were to press the button again 2 minutes after you honk the horn (or pressed the button immediately after the event)?
Do you then get 8 mins prior to incident; the incident; then the 2 minutes after?
If it’s anything like it was 4 years ago (before honk on record and dashcam viewer) you get a big gap where the incident occurred.

In the days above no media player so you had to eject the media so had access to raw footage. But you had to be quick to avoid unsaved clips being overwritten after iirc 60 mins.

Submit it anyway. The 2 minutes thing is guidance, and if they need to they could ask you for it.

I submitted a video of a suspected drunk driver and wasn't asked about it even though I cropped the video to start about 30 seconds before encountering them.

That video seems to have everything they would need were they minded to pursue the van driver. Idiot driver indeed.

Reactions: Obie and ACarneiro
Also. If you feel like you must have that next two minutes, you can pull it from the dash cam folder where it saves everything about the drive in 1 minute chunks. It will only overwrite the files when you SD card is full. This could lead to hours of recorded footage after the event depending on the size of your SD card. You can pull the time afterwards and stitch them together very easily but agreed if the crime is bad enough, the time afterwards shouldn't matter. I would recommend hitting the save button pretty quickly after the event just in case.

I agree with other comments, these are guidelines. They don't want the clip of someone cutting you up and immediately ending there without having context. Was that person involved in an altercation just before the clip, what happened after? I'm sure we've all seen YouTube dashcam videos where it's blindingly obvious that *something* happened to incite that random brake check that someone else is accused of.
I've submitted two incidents that didn't meet that criteria but it was also clear that my car wasn't even involved in one of them, just a passing observer. I was quite surprised that in both, there was follow up from the police to state what their action was in both cases.

Reactions: WannabeOwner