Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam cuts video short!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please someone try this:
1) Set your dashcam to record "on honk" or when you press-hold the left scroll wheel on the steering wheel
2) Take a drive, make note of a landmark and honk the horn or press the left scroll wheel to save the dashcam footage. Make the landmark a restaurant, interesting car, stop light, people, whatever will make you remember that you honked the horn AT THAT TIME.
3) Review the footage. Did it capture the landmark?

Or did it seem like someone PAUSED the recording and started it back up - but basically "missed" the entire thing that you're trying to capture? This appears to be exactly what happens to me all the time for the front camera. It appears that the rear and left/right cameras keep rolling and capture their video as intended. So when I take the Tesla USB and view the files on my computer, the Front camera has 38 sec of video, but the Rear, Left and Right cameras have 55 seconds of video!!!

Obviously, this makes the dashcam mostly useless if it doesn't capture the front camera action as intended!

Can someone else kindly try the steps above and see if you get the same results please? Thanks in advance!

My car is a MYP 2023 June build.

Reactions: Skavatar
It basically "hiccups" when you honk to save. Look up "Wham Baam Teslacam" youtube channel and in plenty of videos, the narrator will mention that it does exactly that.

I had it set to save on honk, but honking AFTER something happens is kinda weird to avoid having the even missing in the video. Later decided to change it because they included the ability to long press the right scroll wheel (so people around don't think I'm honking for no apparent reason). Then I just wait until an event is over or I've gone beyond being able to see it, then long press to save.

• Helpful
Please someone try this:
1) Set your dashcam to record "on honk" or when you press-hold the left scroll wheel on the steering wheel
2) Take a drive, make note of a landmark and honk the horn or press the left scroll wheel to save the dashcam footage. Make the landmark a restaurant, interesting car, stop light, people, whatever will make you remember that you honked the horn AT THAT TIME.

Or did it seem like someone PAUSED the recording and started it back up - but basically "missed" the entire thing that you're trying to capture? This appears to be exactly what happens to me all the time for the front camera. It appears that the rear and left/right cameras keep rolling and capture their video as intended. So when I take the Tesla USB and view the files on my computer, the Front camera has 38 sec of video, but the Rear, Left and Right cameras have 55 seconds of video!!!

Obviously, this makes the dashcam mostly useless if it doesn't capture the front camera action as intended!

Can someone else kindly try the steps above and see if you get the same results please? Thanks in advance!

I didn't try it myself, but this is a very frequent complaint over the years. The same thing can happen if you press the icon to save. The most important part ends up not saving because there is a hiccup during the saving process. As mentioned, people developed a habit to honk after it has a been a while past the event. Even not doing anything may be safer (given there is a 1 hour loop).

Note all saving does is move footage (broken up into 59 second clips) from the 1 hour loop in the Recent Clips folder to the Saved Clips folder. However the most recent clip being recorded may get corrupted during the process.

The other safer thing to do is to safely remove the drive and keep a spare drive in the car to plug back in. This ensures the whole hour loop doesn't get deleted. Note even if the loop gets deleted, as long as you pull the drive before the whole drive is overwritten, it's possible to recover deleted footage:
Dashcam in Auto

Last edited:
Please someone try this:

I have the same issue, but it occurs every time my vehicle is moving. Parked, I get 55-56 seconds. Moving, I get 37 seconds. This is for all front camera videos, irrespective of the folder where it is saved.

Saving on Honk or by other methods makes no difference.

I'm starting to think it is a file-size limitation.

I have the same issue, but it occurs every time my vehicle is moving. Parked, I get 55-56 seconds. Moving, I get 37 seconds. This is for all front camera videos, irrespective of the folder where it is saved.

Saving on Honk or by other methods makes no difference.

I'm starting to think it is a file-size limitation.
Are you saying it is 37 seconds even for the 1 hour loop (when you do no actions to save) that is saved in "Recent Clips"? Like every single front camera video is a 37 second video clip, so there are a bunch of them? Or are you saying only the most recent clip?

That is a bit different than the other accounts above, where only the last clip is 37-38-ish seconds when in the "Saved Clips" folder and a save action is done (by any method).

Are you saying it is 37 seconds even for the 1 hour loop (when you do no actions to save) that is saved in "Recent Clips"? Like every single front camera video is a 37 second video clip, so there are a bunch of them? Or are you saying only the most recent clip?

That is a bit different than the other accounts above, where only the last clip is 37-38-ish seconds when in the "Saved Clips" folder and a save action is done (by any method).
YES! ALL of the videos in the Recent Clips folder are 37 seconds if the vehicle was in motion when the video was taken.

I guess what I don't understand is, why does the front camera have 38 secs of video while the rest of the cameras (rear and 2 sides) have 55 secs? If it's going to glitch / hiccup, it should at least do it uniformly for all cameras.

You'd think that with all the high tech this car has, they'd have this all figured out. <sigh> AND NO AUDIO! My cheap dashcam in the other car has better features.

I guess what I don't understand is, why does the front camera have 38 secs of video while the rest of the cameras (rear and 2 sides) have 55 secs? If it's going to glitch / hiccup, it should at least do it uniformly for all cameras.
There is some bug where it trips up when you try to "save" the clip, but it's weird that there the issue of multiple 38 second videos. That's the first case I've heard like this. Typically it is the last clip.
You'd think that with all the high tech this car has, they'd have this all figured out. <sigh> AND NO AUDIO! My cheap dashcam in the other car has better features.
The dashcam feature was basically just shoehorned in as a bonus feature that's better than nothing. It's not really a full replacement for a cheap dashcam.

I setup a service appointment for 09/25, and they contacted me today 09/20 to diagnose the issue. They recommended that I format my USB drive in FAT32 format (all 3 of mine were exFAT) to see if that fixed it. I reformatted one of them, but left the other two as-is. Then I tested each USB drive and for whatever reason, the videos were now recording full length on ALL of them. The technician said they had logged in remotely and that everything seemed fine. (I have no idea what they did though.)

Reactions: Sai Ko