Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead 75D Rear DU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
April 2017 Build, Delivered in June 2017, 75D with 11,000 km (6,835 miles) on the odometer. UNCORKED about 4 weeks ago.

The family and I were driving down a gravel road (about 2 km (1.2 miles) long) going about 50 km/h (30 mph). The ride was a bumpy one, but nothing too harsh (I had the wife and a 4-year-old with me). About half way down the road I started getting messages "Rear Motor Disabled, Power Reduced". No messages indicated to pull over, so I kept going (this was the final leg to an hour-long trip). I reversed into a spot with no issues and we went on with our day. I really did not think too much of it and figured I would be able to limp home using the front motor only.

We got back to the X about 3 hours later, got the 4-year-old in his car seat and everyone settled. Tried to put it in gear and had a very angry Tesla. "Car Needs Service, Unable to Drive", "Rear Motor Disabled, Power Reduced" and all the Drive letters where red in color.

Tried several levels of restarts with no luck, we were not going anywhere... Called Tesla support, they confirmed everything I was seeing, and they had no way to force the car to only drive on the front drive unit. They arranged for a tow truck and dropped it to the SC.

Speaking with the tech today, they are certain that they will have to replace the rear drive unit. They suspect an inverter board or cable harness internal to the drive unit came loose while on my bumpy ride. They do have a new drive unit in stock and they said it is a one-day job. I am having them look at a few other issues (FWD alignment and a leaky front passenger door window) while they have it in the shop. The tech is the same tech that performed the uncorking for me a few weeks ago, I asked him if he thought the two where related, he said it was the first thing he thought about when he saw my ticket pop up this morning. He said he is not sure and has made an inquiry to engineering to see if the two could be related or if any other cases similar to mine have been documented. He went on to say that the actual fault will not be known until the unit is shipped back to Freemont and inspected.

Here are my questions:

Does anyone know if the drive unit will be a new one or a refurb? Should I be worried about any long-term effects or diminished value? Are there different drive unit part numbers for PRE and POST June 2017 builds? This is relating to the suspected drive unit hardware enhancements that paired with the performance increases for the 75D.

I will update this thread as I get more information. For now, I am enjoying a different Tesla experience in a 100D MS loaner.

I wouldn’t worry about any long term effects or diminished value with a DU replacement. They are under warranty for 8 years unlimited miles and the replacement is pretty simple (not like replacing an engine in an ICE).

Based on how often DUs get replaced in the S side, there doesn’t seem to be any stigma associated with it. Almost the opposite, possibly - I considered it a good thing to get a freshly replaced DU on my CPO. Now I know I have a newer revision.

The tech is the same tech that performed the uncorking for me a few weeks ago, I asked him if he thought the two where related, he said it was the first thing he thought about when he saw my ticket pop up this morning. He said he is not sure and has made an inquiry to engineering to see if the two could be related or if any other cases similar to mine have been documented. He went on to say that the actual fault will not be known until the unit is shipped back to Freemont and inspected.
@ewolp , very sorry to hear about your mechanical problems.
My 75D is roughly the same build time as yours. I'm scheduled for uncorking this week. I am interested in hearing any follow up from your SC on any possible correlation between uncorking and your drive unit issue.