Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead Soundsystem after Headliner Removal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello from over the sea,

I'm searching for answers since you guys got the M3s a bit longer available than we do here in Europe, so i think your overall knowledge should be better.

The Problem: we removed all of the upper interior parts to wrap it with suede, so of course we pulled the headliner out of the car too.

I did everything according to this short guide:

So we did our thing, but as soon as i unplugged the headliner harness, the Music was way quieter - the Subwoofer/rear speakers were dead instantly, thought it has to do with the unplugged cable, not more and we continued working.

So we put everything back together and all of a sudden, nothing happens when you plug it back in. Everything is completed inside, light is working, hazard lights are working, but no Mic, no Back Speakers, no Bass and there is now a permanent Fault Code displayed: eCall Fault, contact your Service Team

This Fault was there before from time to time, could get it away with a Steering Wheel Reset.

So now this fault is active, can't get it sorted with a reset. Even a complete Reset ( 12V & HV off ) did nothing to it, so i guess something is gone bad.

Now there are a few culprits....the OHC Console, the Amp in the back or the best Candidate, the HW3 Car Computer?

We've asked a Tesla Ranger and he mentioned, that he wouldn't set the car to sleep, when he have to unplug this special plug and he demonstrated it on a friends car.

He unplugged it live, no failures afterwards, everything okay.

So my questions: If the OHC Console is faulty, this would be enough to silence nearly the whole audio system?

And otherwise: If the amp is gone, how come that there is no microphone action possible anymore?

If the car computer is gone, i could relate to all the problems, but how can this unplugging leads to that?

Hard to believe.

Thanks for any kind of input.

Sidenote: OHC Console was disassembled for painting, but it seems working properly ( lights, visible function )

Thank you very much 😊

Guys, if you ever disassemble your DomeLight/OHC Light, make sure you insert the connection pad from the lights circuit board to the microphone board the right way!

The red stripes tell you the direction.

If this isn't inserted correct, your soundsystem isn't connected anymore to each other systems.

The OHC Dome Light connects the Front Amp with the Rear Amp and this is as strange as it's possible to me 😂😂

Watch out guys!

Attachments

• IMG_20211019_160846.jpg
    IMG_20211019_160846.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 143
Hello from over the sea,

I'm searching for answers since you guys got the M3s a bit longer available than we do here in Europe, so i think your overall knowledge should be better.

The Problem: we removed all of the upper interior parts to wrap it with suede, so of course we pulled the headliner out of the car too.

I did everything according to this short guide:

So we did our thing, but as soon as i unplugged the headliner harness, the Music was way quieter - the Subwoofer/rear speakers were dead instantly, thought it has to do with the unplugged cable, not more and we continued working.

So we put everything back together and all of a sudden, nothing happens when you plug it back in. Everything is completed inside, light is working, hazard lights are working, but no Mic, no Back Speakers, no Bass and there is now a permanent Fault Code displayed: eCall Fault, contact your Service Team

This Fault was there before from time to time, could get it away with a Steering Wheel Reset.

So now this fault is active, can't get it sorted with a reset. Even a complete Reset ( 12V & HV off ) did nothing to it, so i guess something is gone bad.

Now there are a few culprits....the OHC Console, the Amp in the back or the best Candidate, the HW3 Car Computer?

We've asked a Tesla Ranger and he mentioned, that he wouldn't set the car to sleep, when he have to unplug this special plug and he demonstrated it on a friends car.

He unplugged it live, no failures afterwards, everything okay.

So my questions: If the OHC Console is faulty, this would be enough to silence nearly the whole audio system?

And otherwise: If the amp is gone, how come that there is no microphone action possible anymore?

If the car computer is gone, i could relate to all the problems, but how can this unplugging leads to that?

Hard to believe.

Thanks for any kind of input.

Sidenote: OHC Console was disassembled for painting, but it seems working properly ( lights, visible function )

Thank you very much 😊
Not sure if it is helpful but the fm tuner is on the rear passenger side right about the back seat. Maybe look around there for any loose connections.

Guys, if you ever disassemble your DomeLight/OHC Light, make sure you insert the connection pad from the lights circuit board to the microphone board the right way!

The red stripes tell you the direction.

If this isn't inserted correct, your soundsystem isn't connected anymore to each other systems.

The OHC Dome Light connects the Front Amp with the Rear Amp and this is as strange as it's possible to me 😂😂

Watch out guys!
You literally just saved me so much time troubleshooting for something that I probably would have never found. I can’t even describe how helpful this incredibly niche post was. You’re a hero lmao

Reactions: AJB123