Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issue with new wall connector - solid blue light

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may be helpful to those who encountered the same problem I had when my gen 3 wall connector was installed by an electrician. After the initial installation, I had an issue where my wall connector displayed a solid blue light and would not charge the car despite following the Tesla trouble shooting guide online (resetting the device, turning off scheduled charging etc). When I had the electrician come back to check on it, he removed the cover to check the wire connections and then when he replaced the cover the light turned solid green as it should be but then as he was screwing the cover in place with a power tool it turned blue again until he loosened the screws. So he hand tightened the screws and now the wall connector is working fine. Weird. I’m guessing if the cover is pushing down on something inside, it somehow is affecting how the wall connector functions. 🤷

This may be helpful to those who encountered the same problem I had when my gen 3 wall connector was installed by an electrician. After the initial installation, I had an issue where my wall connector displayed a solid blue light and would not charge the car despite following the Tesla trouble shooting guide online (resetting the device, turning off scheduled charging etc). When I had the electrician come back to check on it, he removed the cover to check the wire connections and then when he replaced the cover the light turned solid green as it should be but then as he was screwing the cover in place with a power tool it turned blue again until he loosened the screws. So he hand tightened the screws and now the wall connector is working fine. Weird. I’m guessing if the cover is pushing down on something inside, it somehow is affecting how the wall connector functions. 🤷
I have a WC3 and I seem to recall that there might have been specific instructions around hand tightening. they even provide the Torx bit to go on a driver handle. at least that was how my electrician did it. Just my 2¢. Glad you solved yours.

Thank you for this post, after 3 weeks and 2 wall connector RMAs this is the only information I could find that fixed the problem. FWIW, all of the screws were hand tightened on my installation, but I had to back them out to be extremely loose for the charger to work. If you press on the front of the charger to make it tight against the bracket then the solid blue light comes back.

There is another recent post in the forum which sounds like the same issue from another member. Maybe this is a recent hardware issue?