Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Debunking Jim Chanos' Tesla Short Thesis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hm ... regarding that point 'Autonomy':

Chanos: Tesla is at level 2. [...] Audi is now at level 3.
Galileo: He always points out how Audi is at level 3 and Tesla is at level 2. [ ... ] but when you talk to consumers Teslas product is vastly superiour ... lets talk to some guy who used to have an Audi A3 and now has a Tesla Model 3 ...
Some guy: Teslas system is much better compared to my old A3. Audi doesn't tell you when it's not working, has problems with lane detection and it's useless.
Galileo: And this is why i think Chanos' short thesis is so off ...
Galileo: ... also big data moat!
Galileo: ... and sensor stuff!

Tesla vs. Audi:
The Audi A3 comes with an older level 2 driver assistance systeme. Obviously Chanos was refering to the new Audi A8, which can be equiped with a level 3 system. Depending on where you live (they won't initially activate it in the USA because of regulations), you are actually allowed to do something else while it is driving. You can't sleep or sit in the back seat, but read a book or play with your phone or laptop. Audi announced they'd take over legal responsibility and cover damages when the system is in control and crashes. That said, the systems level 3 features are currently limited to highways and lower speeds. But that doesn't change the fact that it's plain wrong to announce the debunking of that specific Chanos claim, when you don't even understand what he was saying and aren't aware of what you are talking about.

Tesla data moat:
I believe it, when i have evidence what kind of data they actually collect and in what amount.

Sensors:
Tesla: Surround cameras, ultrasonic sensors set, forward radar. They hope to achieve level 5 with it.
Audi A8: Surround cameras, ultrasonic sensor set, forward radar, forward lidar, 360° surround radar. They hope to achieve level 3 on highways.

I appreciate the effort Galileo puts in his videos, but he should at last try to do more convincing research, if he wants to debunk something. I have some, but much less trouble, with the other sections of his video, but the autonomy part was pretty weak reasoning.