Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decided Against PPF? Regrets? Pictures?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the front bumper, headlights and side mirrors covered with Xpel ultimate and cost was $500 installed. I also put cquartz ceramic coating on the car by myself and total cost was $60 + 2 hours of my time. Car looked fine to me out of factory and could not notice any paint imperfections so didn't bother with all the prep work and paint correction, I just wanted to make it easier to keep clean and the results came out amazing to me. I honestly mostly bought into the hype and never would consider investing absurd amounts on paint protection for a daily driver car thats worth less then 70k. I got the PPF because I thought the Tesla has not grill and I have a white Model 3 so it may show rock chips much easier then darker colored cars. For $560 total + my time, I am happy with my results. My 2014 Blue BMW 435i has no protection besides reload silica spray every 6 months and still looks to be in showroom condition with proper washing. My Model X is blue and has no paint protection on it and looks new also. Cars are meant to be enjoyed, if you do decide to do PPF don't except even $1 more in resale as nobody asks/cars about it when trading it in. Get PPF if you were the type who cared about small dings and marks on your old cars, if it never bothered you before or you never noticed then don't feel pressured to do anything special.
Where did you get yours done?

No chips yet. I’m torn over chips being worth $1,500+

Resale benefit down the road would be lucky to offset the ppf cost. And if chips are that bad a respray front bumper can’t cost that much?

I've spent ten years as a painter in a body shop and the cost to correctly repaint just a bumper on tesla is over $1000. Now I'm in the vinyl wrap, PPF business. I charge $1195 for a full front on a model 3 with a 10 year warranty and the hood fenders, mirrors and a pillars are also protected. In my opinion the cost is definitely worth it!

I've spent ten years as a painter in a body shop and the cost to correctly repaint just a bumper on tesla is over $1000. Now I'm in the vinyl wrap, PPF business. I charge $1195 for a full front on a model 3 with a 10 year warranty and the hood fenders, mirrors and a pillars are also protected. In my opinion the cost is definitely worth it!
*LISTEN TO THIS GUY* The last new-ish car I bought (6 mos. old - 4K miles on it) the hood, bumper, lenses got destroyed from road debris in 10K miles. Original paint is original once.

I had PPF done on all my previous cars, but decided not to have PPF done this time. The reason I decided not to do any PPF is that I will not recover any value for it if I were to trade it in in the future. I tried to trade in my 2013 Mercedes SL550 with full wrap. The dealers said it's nice that I have full wrap but I am not getting any extra $ because of the wrap.

Reactions: SDKoala

Thanks for the info. You’re pricing is much more competitive than local shops here.

1 year and 12k miles on my 3 including winter salt/sand, highway construction, etc I have very few chips but did lose a windshield from a rock flung from a truck tire.