Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help or question re PPF situation with Installer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a question for community members since a colored PPF installer here asked me to ask community members.
I had a Model X on order with no firm date and changed from Nov-Dec to Jan-Feb.
Back when I placed order, I was considering colored PPF. There’s a vendor who seems popular with one of the Socal clubs so I inquired.
They said in order to lock in a future date for install, I would need to put down a 50% deposit which I did.
My car came early this week. I got the grey which was changed to stealth grey. After seeing decided to skip the colored wrap.

When I messaged to cancel (even though no product ordered, no date set b/c I didn’t know when I would get my car), they said it was non refundable and that this is
industry standard. I looked on their website and there’s no policy about this. In our messages, they said 50% deposit needed but didn’t mention non refundable.
Is this standard practice? From my viewpoint, I”m not in the industry, never had colored PPF installed so how am I supposed to know.

If you didn't sign a contract saying it's non refundable, then it's refundable and I'd take them to small claims to get my money back. Even a letter from the court usually will get them to just refund in lieu of a legal battle.

Take screenshots of the website etc in case they change it after the fact. Document everything.

Tell them you don't want to escalate to small claims but that you will unless they refund or can produce your signature on a contract specifically stating the deposit was non refundable. Be firm but polite. Tell them you expect a reply by x date.

Not sure if you need to avoid this business as they did end up refunding the charge and make the customer whole. Even though it was a bit of a hassle, they made it right which I feel a lot of places would not do. Still, the name of business and location would be nice to have just incase others try it for themselves. Always good to be prepared in these types of situation and ask about refund policy.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for their input and advice. Full disclosure here. The business owner has been cordial in dealing with me. It was his contention that this is the industry standard for non refundable deposits that made me ask him if I can pose the question and this situation to other Tesla owners (since their business caters to Tesla predominantly). I did tell him from my end that I’m not going to name his business on the forum nor create bad reviews on social media, yelp, forums etc just for leverage. Just man to man, fair question to ask the community since in my 6 prior ppf installs, I’ve never left deposits with 3 different shops.

I’ll send him this link if they choose to comment or identify themselves. BTW, their yelp is solid as well as google reviews/Tesla car club member’s comments so even though I didn’t get the install, their work seems solid. Also they are a small family business so in spirit of holidays and to be fair, I don‘t really want to go against my word and call them out since the issue is more of a business/technical.

To be fair to him, I think the issue is regular PPF vs colored PPF/vinyl. The clear PPF can always be used for another customer. The colored PPF if ordered may not. In my case, I never selected a color nor set an appt date so I didn’t feel like I made them miss out on cost of material or lost opportunity to book another client. Also to his credit, they’re going to have customers sign non refundable agreements prior from now on as well as update their website with a policy section for full disclosure which is a step in right direction. If you’re dealing with a car customization crowd, they may be familiar that this is “industry standard”. but for many customers like myself that have not done any colored ppf or customization work, shouldn’t assume that we do. Could say this is learning point for myself to ask more specifically next time as well as for the business to be more clear and transparent.

Last edited:
Reactions: SunnySideUp