Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't wait, do PPF as soon as you can

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
I got my Y just over 2 months ago. I decided to only put PPF on the front bumper, not the entire car. That's where it takes the more abuse. Now I wish I would have done the entire car. I looked at some areas and the paint already has a few small chips! I have dark gray so it is very visible as the brighter primer is showing through. Tesla's paint is still not very good.

Other people will slam their doors against your car in the parking lot. You will have stuff hit your paint and damage it. A shopping cart will hit your car, people walking by will scratch it, the semi in front of you will throw up little rocks and so on. If you can, get the PPF all around. You won't regret it.

Agreed. A guy in a Walmart parking lot hit my door with his door...big chip out of the paint. I confronted him (had it on sentry) and made him pay me on the spot the cost of the paint repair kit. But you can still see it as the Tesla white paint repair kit is lame. Doesn't match the colour. I wish I had PPF'ed my doors. I only did full frontal and door rockers (not high enough for the hit!).

Reactions: David99
I have the blue without any PPF. I knew I would get paint chips but quite surprised after only 2 months and 4k miles that there are so many. Despite that I still don't think PPF is worth it.
Yes I am pretty disappointed with the paint quality of my Y. I had two Model S before, 2014 and 2015. The paint quality wasn't the best back then, but instead of getting better with time, it got worse.

The cost factor is obviously individual. It depends on how much you care about paint chips. I don't try to keep my car in perfect condition, but I use my car a lot for work and load equipment and drive almost 80k a year. The paint gets abused much more than an average car. After seeing how quickly the paint suffers I decided to go PPF all around.