Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Declared as a total loss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had my Tesla YP totaled after getting hit broadsided. Unlike someone else I’d the thread, I lost over 10k with the price decrease and another 5k for the wrap, etc. Paid 72k all in and they are offering me 51k. Not sure I’m sticking with Tesla due to the crappy resale. Plus it’s scary to know that even small things total the car which leaves you upside down. I was not at fault. The dealership 1 mile from home has about 50 cars on the lot that are available. Even with the price decrease from Tesla I’m still Out over $10k to replace the YP.
Are you Including any potential - $10K in credits and rebates?

I was able to do them twice when my car was totaled in under 6 months. With the favorable comps from insurance, credits and rebates, extra supercharging and extra warranty I ended up a few thousand over what I paid 6 months prior.

I just had my Tesla YP totaled after getting hit broadsided. Unlike someone else I’d the thread, I lost over 10k with the price decrease and another 5k for the wrap, etc. Paid 72k all in and they are offering me 51k. Not sure I’m sticking with Tesla due to the crappy resale. Plus it’s scary to know that even small things total the car which leaves you upside down. I was not at fault. The dealership 1 mile from home has about 50 cars on the lot that are available. Even with the price decrease from Tesla I’m still Out over $10k to replace the YP.
Unfortunately this may be the trajectory for all brands of BEVs with seemingly minor to moderate damage. Insurance cos won’t want to commit to repairs that may turn up battery damage upon tear down. Plus, they can lowball owners and cut losses.

• Informative
Reactions: jeremymc7
Unfortunately this may be the trajectory for all brands of BEVs with seemingly minor to moderate damage. Insurance cos won’t want to commit to repairs that may turn up battery damage upon tear down. Plus, they can lowball owners and cut losses.
For Tesla, the trend already appears toward being quick to declare a car a total loss.

For some other EV-only "startup" manufacturers like Fisker, Lucid, Aptera, this is likely to be true also.

I don't see it happening quite as much for larger manufacturers who actually stock repair parts and can get them out to their dealers and body shops within a reasonable time (thinking about GM, Ford, BMW, etc.)

Thanks for the reply. I don’t feel so bad after reading about the insurance industry totaling many cars and the reasons behind it. I’m sticking with the Tesla because frankly I don’t see anything out there that’s affordable and reliable.