Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Defrosting issue with app 3.8/ 49.12.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone..

I am curious if anyone else has this issue.

I noticed that when I first updated the app to 3.8 with my also newly installed 2018.49.12.1 (Finally Canada gets NOA!!).. for the first day, the app said "defrosting" when I preheated the car. (this activated the front and rear defrosters like it has always done in previous versions). However, now it only preheats the cabin and does not activate the front and rear defrosters.

Am I alone with this issue or is this widespread?

*note that the temperatures have been the same (around the freezing mark) and therefore should require defrost.

I see a windshield defrost icon on the top right of my app. Haven’t tried it yet since I park in a garage. Will have to wait till I’m back at work to try out the preheat feature to see if it defrosts the windshields as well.

Attachments

• 6889C47C-DC87-4C1C-9C17-FF740D32891E.png
    6889C47C-DC87-4C1C-9C17-FF740D32891E.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 83
Never seen front defroster come on in our 3 unless car is below 50 F. Then it turns off when car warms slightly. Not seen rear defroster (glass wires) come on in either 3 or X. But anything’s possible with cold temps and new software!

It may have different stages of ‘cold’ results.

Note that there are no ‘defrost’ controls that anyone is aware of, but I’ve see front defrost warm air come on and the app informs you of that. The defrost icon is merely that, like the battery warmer icon. You can’t control it.

I just verified the rear window defroster wires do come on with the app. Outside temp: 37F, inside: 30F. The app showed the red defrost icon when climate controls were turned on.

I also noted that all five seat heaters defaulted “on” to the middle setting (2 of 3 wavy lines).

Hmm.. then its just me it seems.

Thsnks everyone. Going to have to figure out why its no longer working.
It is not just you. If I do not reboot my car when I park it in the evening I will not have defrosting in the morning when I preheat the car. I have tried everything in the book to have it come on without rebooting but it will not work more than once after a reboot. As long as I reboot it works. I was starting to wonder if something is wrong with my car but I assume it's a software problem. Try rebooting when you park for the evening and it should work the following morning.

• Informative
Reactions: McFlurri
It is not just you. If I do not reboot my car when I park it in the evening I will not have defrosting in the morning when I preheat the car. I have tried everything in the book to have it come on without rebooting but it will not work more than once after a reboot. As long as I reboot it works. I was starting to wonder if something is wrong with my car but I assume it's a software problem. Try rebooting when you park for the evening and it should work the following morning.
I also uninstalled and reinstalled the app... but that did not fix it either..

I will try your trick.

Hopefully Tesla sees this thread and fixes it in an upcoming update