Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Delays

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, that sucks. My model X (also ordered mid-November has been pushed back daily and has been “in production” with a VIN for the past week. They have sent me an email saying that they hope it will arrive on Monday, but they are not sure.
Lucky you. I am told that they are not assigning VIN during production anymore, and the time to delivery from VIN assignment maybe as short as a day. What’s your delivery location?

That sucks for all of you not getting it on time. My sister who ordered a model 3, got the same email as you guys about now being built in Jan. This is after her getting a text a week ago with a del date. And then they kept postponing it by another day. I put her in touch with the local manager guy who I have dealt with and been very happy with. He told her that Tesla has over done it, and can't keep up with all the orders and promises. So they are actually hoping that people get pissed and cancel their orders. But he advised her not to do that and that he will try to find her a canceled car that is here. He doesn't know what Tesla will do to compensate people who don't cancel, like discount the car by $2k, or some kind of compensation.
I can't imagine Tesla wouldn't do that. They will keep a customer, who will likely be a repeat customer. Instead of pissing off all these people and losing them as customers forever.

Lucky you. I am told that they are not assigning VIN during production anymore, and the time to delivery from VIN assignment maybe as short as a day. What’s your delivery location?

Well, spoke too soon... now they’re saying Dec 31.... If it gets pushed to early 2020, I’ll likely cancel and wait a few weeks to find out new things (and price changes) are in the pipeline since I’ll be losing the tax credit and my business deduction for 2019.

Well, spoke too soon... now they’re saying Dec 31.... If it gets pushed to early 2020, I’ll likely cancel and wait a few weeks to find out new things (and price changes) are in the pipeline since I’ll be losing the tax credit and my business deduction for 2019.
I am in the same boat. Got the update today that my X is in production, scheduled to finish production by 30th evening, and have a delivery appointment for 31st at 8 PM. Slight problem and I miss my tax credit and business deduction for 2019 as well. After reading about the model X interior refresh coming up next year, I am starting to see this as a boon in disguise.

I am in the same boat. Got the update today that my X is in production, scheduled to finish production by 30th evening, and have a delivery appointment for 31st at 8 PM. Slight problem and I miss my tax credit and business deduction for 2019 as well. After reading about the model X interior refresh coming up next year, I am starting to see this as a boon in disguise.

Not sure how you are going to get a business deduction for 2019 if you receive the car on 12/31 at 8:00 p.m. Your business use has to be over 50%. I received my X on 12/20 (ordered on 10/22) and I had to park it this weekend and Christmas Day to avoid personal miles.

Not sure how you are going to get a business deduction for 2019 if you receive the car on 12/31 at 8:00 p.m. Your business use has to be over 50%. I received my X on 12/20 (ordered on 10/22) and I had to park it this weekend and Christmas Day to avoid personal miles.
That's fine. It means that your only usage of the car needs to be business purposes. Picking up a car that is for business is a business use. Just don't drive it for any personal usage that day, and you can take the full accelerated depreciation (assuming you purchase or finance) for 2019. If you lease, you're out of luck. If you pick it up and then immediately drive to Disneyland, you're also SOL.

Reactions: Niles7
Re: the interior... I've thought about that as well... I think if it comes out in Feb, I'll be annoyed, but right now, it looks like it's maybe a late Q3 event. And then, we all know the first few months of it will be crap since Tesla can't build anything right straight out of the gate, so I see that as something I'd imagine to be a year or more out for me... just in time to replace my Model 3 with an S...

That's fine. It means that your only usage of the car needs to be business purposes. Picking up a car that is for business is a business use. Just don't drive it for any personal usage that day, and you can take the full accelerated depreciation (assuming you purchase or finance) for 2019. If you lease, you're out of luck. If you pick it up and then immediately drive to Disneyland, you're also SOL.

That is an interesting question - are the miles used picking a car up that will be used for business, business miles? If so, is it all of them or only the percentage of business use? If you only use the car 50% for business how can 100% of the miles used to "pick up" be business?

I don't know the answer to these questions so when I picked my car up on 12/20 I had my secretary (and her daughter) with me (and my wife and granddaughter) and we drove from Rocklin straight to San Francisco for our Christmas party -to see the Nutcracker. That way there is no question that those were business miles. I have also parked my X for 3 days to keep personal use down.