Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Popped Tonight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Woooo! Yep just did a 25 point turn to back it into my garage and finally finishing my drink.

I went through the checklist and honestly nothing really stood out at all, except certain lights I see the color bumper plastic hue difference. I’ll review more tomorrow but I feel good about it. Haggled for software upgrades and more off but didn’t even seem possible.

Thanks for all the help guys. You all literally got me to skip dinner, sprint out of my house and bike downtown, and get it tonight.
haha...pick up new MY, come home to finish a negroni. Congrats!

Hey, just a quick update. I emailed pictures to the delivery email and also sent in a service request as instructed to do by my SA within 24 hours. I might have made a mistake accepting delivery so quickly; I was under the impression you had 24 hours to take pictures and then service would look at issues. My appointment is end of October right now, which is well past return date.

Everything seems very fixable and what I expected; a chip, a clear coat scratch, small missing piece of paint, windshield needs slight 2mm alignment, etc. The only non-minor item is the off color bumper. I believe this is the only part of the paint that is off color. To be fair, the picture makes it look about as bad as it will ever look based on lighting/angles.

Hope I didn't mess delivery, but honestly everything looked great in showroom and I figured things would be looked at prior to making a decision to return or not. I haven't been able to talk to a representative yet because it is night, but is this stuff that they will work with me on?

I really love the few miles I have driven in this, I'd really like to not have to return the car!

unnamed.jpg

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Hey, just a quick update. I emailed pictures to the delivery email and also sent in a service request as instructed to do by my SA within 24 hours. I might have made a mistake accepting delivery so quickly; I was under the impression you had 24 hours to take pictures and then service would look at issues. My appointment is end of October right now, which is well past return date.

Everything seems very fixable and what I expected; a chip, a clear coat scratch, small missing piece of paint, windshield needs slight 2mm alignment, etc. The only non-minor item is the off color bumper. I believe this is the only part of the paint that is off color. To be fair, the picture makes it look about as bad as it will ever look based on lighting/angles.

Hope I didn't mess delivery, but honestly everything looked great in showroom and I figured things would be looked at prior to making a decision to return or not. I haven't been able to talk to a representative yet because it is night, but is this stuff that they will work with me on?

I really love the few miles I have driven in this, I'd really like to not have to return the car!

View attachment 594476
From all the reading/research I've done, none of those seem to be anything they can't or won't fix so I think you'll be good.

View attachment 594476
That paint mismatch looks awful. There's no way I would be comfortable with the paint looking the way it does even if the picture shows it "as bad as it will ever look". Telsa may or may not work with you on the items you identified. No one on the forum knows for sure. The real question is: If they attempt to address the issues, will they be fixed to your satisfaction? Once you're outside of the 7 day return window you have lost all leverage and they have no incentive to fix the issues.

Reactions: am_dmd
I’m pretty close to the sales store. I might just swing by there and get a manager to sign something saying they will pay for a body shop to repaint it, and if not return it. I’m pretty bummed I really want the car.

I’m assuming writing something saying the Tesla shop will paint fix would also be sufficient?

I’m pretty close to the sales store. I might just swing by there and get a manager to sign something saying they will pay for a body shop to repaint it, and if not return it. I’m pretty bummed I really want the car.

I’m assuming writing something saying the Tesla shop will paint fix would also be sufficient?

Eh.... I would get the service manager to do that, not a sales guy. Even then I probably would have a service manager inspect it and then write up an official QUOTE and just schedule the actually work to happen at a later date.

• Helpful
Reactions: shipapotamus
That paint mismatch looks awful. There's no way I would be comfortable with the paint looking the way it does even if the picture shows it "as bad as it will ever look". Telsa may or may not work with you on the items you identified. No one on the forum knows for sure. The real question is: If they attempt to address the issues, will they be fixed to your satisfaction? Once you're outside of the 7 day return window you have lost all leverage and they have no incentive to fix the issues.

That was one of the main reasons I didn't want the white. I know why it's happening, but it would bug me for someone to say, that doesn't match and try to explain it. It's just weird that depending on the lighting it just seems to pop out at you, and sometimes you would not even notice because it seems subtle.

Reactions: shipapotamus
That was one of the main reasons I didn't want the white. I know why it's happening, but it would bug me for someone to say, that doesn't match and try to explain it. It's just weird that depending on the lighting it just seems to pop out at you, and sometimes you would not even notice because it seems subtle.

Yea it seems like there are some people that get written documents saying they will cover full body shop paint, and then others who are told to basically f* off. So I'm a bit nervous, but whatever, I don't need a car this second so I have all the leverage.

Ok so I'm in a waiting game with service center + delivery emails that my sales representative gave me. It is all out there, I will push harder closer to my return date if nothing happens.

That said, I spoke with a paintshop that Tesla uses in our area. They basically told me every single white car they get in (for other reasons) has differences because plastic vs metal. But the white should NOT be cream/yellow hue. They also told me worst case scenario they could match the bumper almost perfectly for $450 if Tesla won't pay for it. So, unless I'm missing something I'm not quite as nervous about having a car that gives me OCD for 5+ years.

Obviously, I don't plan on paying for paint on a brand new car.

Honestly, so far this experience is going better than expected, even though you shouldn't have to deal with issues on a brand new car. I dropped off some unsigned papers at Tesla, and they received my emails. I was immediately spoken to about my situation (I never even brought it up, I didn't know the guy I handed the papers to) and they are going to get emails going with service center with some written documentation for me. He was like yea that bumper will be replaced no problem and won't take long. I feel pretty good about it; keeping comms open, being nice, etc. That said, I can imagine this being stressful if you don't live near Tesla dealerships/service centers.

The thing is fun as hell to drive, I hope they make it work!

Reactions: alexcue

Had a problem with hood paint with a bubble on a brand new MYP. Tesla made an appointment with a Tesla Certified body shop and repainted the entire hood.
Provided a P85D loaner for the week it was at the body shop. Body shop work looked better than factory.

I gotta update this with good news. Honestly, when this started I went from excitement to panic from reading all of the issues. Tesla has been nothing short of great from sales people, to instantly matching my financing a week later, and finally to the service center.

I had to put in a little leg work and make calls and deal with making sure I’d get the right color bumper. But the guy at the SC knew immediately what to do when I brought it in before my appointment for paint match. He explained how there are 35 colors of white (they narrow it to 4) and different substrate on bumpers, and how mine was wrong substrate (yellow) and wrong color (not blue tinted white but eggshell). Hopefully it all goes well from here, but they are handling this with care and professionalism.

The car is amazing, ya I have some missing screws (lol) and some paint work needed. Ya, Fremont robots are drunk. But, they are taking care of me so far. So much FUD online, figured I’d share a positive experience. Hope it keeps going this way!

• Informative
Reactions: rxlawdude
I gotta update this with good news. Honestly, when this started I went from excitement to panic from reading all of the issues. Tesla has been nothing short of great from sales people, to instantly matching my financing a week later, and finally to the service center.

I had to put in a little leg work and make calls and deal with making sure I’d get the right color bumper. But the guy at the SC knew immediately what to do when I brought it in before my appointment for paint match. He explained how there are 35 colors of white (they narrow it to 4) and different substrate on bumpers, and how mine was wrong substrate (yellow) and wrong color (not blue tinted white but eggshell). Hopefully it all goes well from here, but they are handling this with care and professionalism.

The car is amazing, ya I have some missing screws (lol) and some paint work needed. Ya, Fremont robots are drunk. But, they are taking care of me so far. So much FUD online, figured I’d share a positive experience. Hope it keeps going this way!

If Tesla has 35 different shades of white to try and match with the bulk vehicle paint job... no wonder so many of them are showing up slightly off! I wonder why the Model 3 didn’t have this issue...

Ok so I'm in a waiting game with service center + delivery emails that my sales representative gave me. It is all out there, I will push harder closer to my return date if nothing happens.

That said, I spoke with a paintshop that Tesla uses in our area. They basically told me every single white car they get in (for other reasons) has differences because plastic vs metal. But the white should NOT be cream/yellow hue. They also told me worst case scenario they could match the bumper almost perfectly for $450 if Tesla won't pay for it. So, unless I'm missing something I'm not quite as nervous about having a car that gives me OCD for 5+ years.

Obviously, I don't plan on paying for paint on a brand new car.

If only it was the front and not the rear thats an off color. Could fit it later once it gets highway murdered.